Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances for Temple? Opinions appreciated!  (Read 1138 times)

JamieB

• View Profile
    • Email
Chances for Temple? Opinions appreciated!
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to this but so far have found this site to be very interesting and informative.

I have a 3.19 GPA and a 161 LSAT.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether I'd be able to get into Temple University in Philly. 

My major concern is that I applied VERY late in the cycle (Feb 29) and was told my decision would be in the mail in late April. 

My other concern is that I've been accepted to University of Miami and will go if I don't get into Temple but would rather go to Temple.  However Miami's deposit is due in mid-April.  Anyone know what I should do?  Should I just send in my deposit to Miami and if I get into Temple just forget about the 300 dollar deposit?

laughing hard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances for Temple? Opinions appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »
Glancing at LSN and chiashu--your chances for Temple are still pretty good going by numbers alone (even for having applied late in the cycle), and if it really is your first choice, I would definitely hang on to it.

Kissing off $300 hurts, but not going to the best school for you would be much worse in the long run.

Keep your head up! Good luck!
UCLA Law Class of 2011

JamieB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »
Thanks so much.  Will definitely take your advice to heart.

Anyone else have an opinion on whether I have a good shot at getting in?

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
According to LSAC, no more than half of the applicants with your numbers were accepted last term. So, unless you're very confident with your soft factors, I don't think that you can be confident -- but you can certainly be hopeful.

Concerning the Miami fee, pay it. I might be going there, too, but I haven't been accepted yet :(.. It's only been two weeks since I've applied, but still, I'm getting anxious. :D

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
According to LSAC, no more than half of the applicants with your numbers were accepted last term. So, unless you're very confident with your soft factors, I don't think that you can be confident -- but you can certainly be hopeful.

Concerning the Miami fee, pay it. I might be going there, too, but I haven't been accepted yet :(.. It's only been two weeks since I've applied, but still, I'm getting anxious. :D

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »
Temple is very possible for you with those numbers. But applying that late in the cycle is really going to hurt you.

Pay the deposit and keep your options open.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:06:52 AM »
My numbers are nearly the same (my LSAT is a little lower) and I applied around the same time- I'm guessing they emailed you a fee waiver right around then?

I've just been assuming I'd get waitlisted, but I've shopped around and looked at the numbers and there is a definite possibility for me so an even better chance for you to get in. I would hold out just a little bit longer before you send in your deposit, as I don't think it's going to be that late before you hear back.

Good luck!
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 03:45:08 AM »
300 dollars in the long run isnt a big deal especially when it means going to the school of your choice.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
I had very similar numbers to you (160/3.07) and was wait listed at Temple. You might have a better shot if you are in state resident though.
2L and counting...

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »
hope you get it man.  i'm waiting on them too