Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A sinful LOCI  (Read 1731 times)

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
A sinful LOCI
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:06:31 PM »
So the common advice on here is that an LOCI should only come after a deferral or waitlist, but especially the WL. I'm contemplating sending my LOCI to Michigan before they come to a decision. I feel like this is a somewhat unusual situation, but maybe it's not unusual enough.

I went complete on 1/9 and since then there have been two waves of WL (2/29 and 3/14). My numbers are, per LSN at least, borderline WL/admit. There are only a handful of people who are still pending with complete dates in November through January. There are even fewer when you look at the fact that more than a few of those are abandoned accounts with no updates in months.

Accordingly, it seems that they just can't make a decision on my application (for whatever reason). I'm wondering if it'd therefore help to send my LOCI (which is very explicit in my desire to attend, with reasons) now instead of later. This might work for the following reason.

I feel like a WL is pretty easy to hand out. It doesn't harm yield and it doesn't commit the school to another student. Would they really wait this long if I were borderline WL/reject? And since I've survived two rounds of WL, I must be on the border elsewhere...and there's only one other border.

Thoughts?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: A sinful LOCI
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »
I suppose the point would be to skip the mess of WL. I guess the question for them about me isn't whether or not I'd attend, but whether or not they want me to attend...which is always the question for people just below their #s range...which has the same effect as stotan's advice because their knowing I want to be there probably doesn't have an effect for this kind of candidate.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
Don't do it.
Michigan 2L

StressCase

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
I did it. Worked for me. I would only send it in if this is your first choice and would accept an offer of admission with no question.
In: Miami, Baylor, U of A, San Diego, Santa Clara, Tulane, American, McGeorge, Lewis and Clark, University of Houston, CU Boulder, DAVIS!!!
WL:Fordham, Hastings
Out: BC, George Mason, UCLA, GW

GPA 3.5
LSAT 163

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
I wrote one of those already. I make a stronger case in this one though, as I now have more to say honestly rather than because I know it's what they wanted to hear.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

bostonsail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a preemptive LOCI. I did the same, didn't hurt me with Vandy or Emory... Thanks for your comments on the other thread.

StressCase

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
Your points may be valid. However, I don't think adding a letter to your file would bump you to the bottom of the pile. It could perhaps bring it back up, make them dust it off and take a good long look at it again (or for the first time). Remeber sincerity is key.
In: Miami, Baylor, U of A, San Diego, Santa Clara, Tulane, American, McGeorge, Lewis and Clark, University of Houston, CU Boulder, DAVIS!!!
WL:Fordham, Hastings
Out: BC, George Mason, UCLA, GW

GPA 3.5
LSAT 163

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 08:14:23 PM »
I think I might give them a call tomorrow and ask if it'll send my application to the back of the pile.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Bananas, Melonas, Yeah

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »
I agree with Stress. I fail to see what harm it can do as long as it's well-written and brief.

The harm it can do is bumping his application to the bottom of the pile, delaying his decision even more. By the time they get back around to it, they may have enough admits to move him from the WL/admit side to the WL/ding side, regardless of the LOCI.

TINTCR.

Do it.  It can only help.

Oh, and often times, the "common advice" you get around here starts with someone speculating, then a bunch of people say "yeah that sounds logical", and then given enough time (and a lack of dissent) it mysteriously launches in status to something akin to divine revelation.  It's fascinating, actually.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »
I just love my beret.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011