GW, hands down.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW vs. Northeastern
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
GW, hands down.

TITCR.  There's no question that GW is the better choice.
Columbia 2011

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:06 PM »
So the only reason not to go to GW would be if I got into BU or off the BC waitlist (which would have to be early since I'd have to move to DC)?

In terms of job prospects in Boston aren't their more Northeastern grads in BigLaw than GW grads in BigLaw?

Doesn't being local have any edge?

The statistics will show you (probably, I have no actual knowledge of this) that there are more Northeastern grads in Boston law firms than GW grads, but this is largely because Northeastern grads have few job opportunities outside of the local area. 

I really don't know if this translates into an "edge" in the Boston market.  Better alumni network through Northeastern?  Probably, but does that trump GW's superior program and national reputation?  I think it's a tough call, and in such a situation, I'm inclined to select the better program.
Columbia 2011

Pixies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »
hmm, I think this is actually a pretty tough decision. While first instinct would have me saying go to GW, ciolli seems to show that two have comparable placement in New England. I guess it comes down to what you want to do and how much money each of the schools are willing to give you (if that matters). If you have any aspirations of academia or super-prestigious firms than you probably have a better shot (but still a long shot) out of GW. Otherwise i would think it basically comes down to school preference.

Pixies

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
no, long shot for academia, about equal (to northeastern) for biglaw

Yak Herder

• University of Washington 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:04:35 PM »
If you are on the political left, as I am, you should take another look at Northeastern.  "Cause lawyering" is a big deal there.  Their co-op program is innovative and well-regarded as well, and not just in Boston.  People who are saying "GW hands down it's ranked higher" may not appreciate the fact that Northeastern is significantly different from the traditional law school format. Personal fit is crucial here; the people that like co-op wouldn't trade the experience.
Accepted: Michigan, UCLA, Minnesota, U. of Washington, Northeastern, Pittsburgh, Temple
Denied: Harvard
Waitlisted: Berkeley, Penn, Texas
Pending: Cornell
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=YakHerder

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: GW ($$) vs. Northeastern - Want to Practice in Boston
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »
hmm, I think this is actually a pretty tough decision. While first instinct would have me saying go to GW, ciolli seems to show that two have comparable placement in New England.

You are seriously misreading that study. GW is fairly national, many students simply do not chose to go to new england. At North Eastern, almost all the students opt to stay in New England.

All other things being equal, the GW grad will get picked over the NE grad every single time at a Boston Biglaw firm. 
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

newjaytdot

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »
I honestly believe you will get into BU.  I got WL'd at BC AND GWU, but I got accepted @ BU with dinero. 

I'm really rooting for you to get into BU! 

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Pink Cosmo, it sounds like you really really don't want to go to GW.

Without knowing much about your situation, except what's posted here--have you tried contacting BC/BU and expressing just how incredibly interested in their schools you are? It sounds like you'd be willing to go there without any money from the schools. A guaranteed full-price admit might push them along in deciding on you.

If you're interested in PI, then yes, scholarship money from a school should be a big factor.

I'm a 1L at GW, and like it a lot, but if you are kind of miserable going into the situation here because you want to be in another city and are so stressed about missing that city and going back there after graduation, it's going to make what is already an incredibly grueling year even more difficult.  FWIW, I don't think you'd have trouble getting a Boston job, esp if you have ties to the area.