Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting Case  (Read 3533 times)

ahsidib

• View Profile
Visiting Case
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
Is anyone thinking of going to Case Western's Preview Weekend?
Are these weekends worthwhile to visit?

chammon2

• View Profile
Re: Visiting Case
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »
I'm not going to be able to go to their accepted students weekend this weekend but I did go to a preview weekend last month.  It was pretty informative.  I did learn a lot about the school and the experience was much better than taking a personalized tour of a law school.  There were tons of people to answer my questions rather than just one student who probably didn't want to be there.  The thing to remember is that most of the students you will come across at these things volunteer so they probably really love their school.  I was able to talk with three different students at Case as well as one lady from career services and a handful of profs.  The students were all obsessed with the international program, which I found to be annoying, but they were all friendly and honest.  If you have a chance, you're not interested in negotiating a deal, and it's not a problem, I would attend the accepted students weekend over a personal visit.  You'll get a chance to interact with more people and even see some potential classmates.  Plus, they usually bring out all the stops for these things so if they can't sell you this weekend, you're never going to like it.

thecrashlawyer

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »
I visited last week for 2 days.  I took the tour two times because the first one was given by an admissions person and I really wanted atleast one student's perspective.  Also I spoke with several Case students inbetween classes and they were very friendly.  The law school/campus itself is beautiful but I think Cleveland overall is a pretty nasty place to be.  My hotel was downtown and downtown was a gritty reminder of what the rust belt is all about in 2008.  That being said I was impressed with the campus itself and the surrounding area of University Circle. 

I'm 99% I will be attending Case next fall.  If anyone has any questions I have even more info on the visit (I journaled... yeah I'm a nerd). 

Also I found this on facebook.  Just further testimony as to how/why Cleveland is questionable. 

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6907197815

Thank GOD that campus isn't anywhere near downtown or the nasty parts of Cleveland. 

xiaoningning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:35:29 AM »
Did you get any useful information about housing?

I visited last week for 2 days.  I took the tour two times because the first one was given by an admissions person and I really wanted atleast one student's perspective.  Also I spoke with several Case students inbetween classes and they were very friendly.  The law school/campus itself is beautiful but I think Cleveland overall is a pretty nasty place to be.  My hotel was downtown and downtown was a gritty reminder of what the rust belt is all about in 2008.  That being said I was impressed with the campus itself and the surrounding area of University Circle. 

I'm 99% I will be attending Case next fall.  If anyone has any questions I have even more info on the visit (I journaled... yeah I'm a nerd). 

Also I found this on facebook.  Just further testimony as to how/why Cleveland is questionable. 

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6907197815

Thank GOD that campus isn't anywhere near downtown or the nasty parts of Cleveland. 

thecrashlawyer

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »
I asked the admissions people where most law students live, and they said the Cleveland Heights is a popular place.  There is also a few apartments very close to the law school.  One in particular is called the Triangle.  I've looked into it but it looks pretty expensive.  Did you visit the school/are you planning on attending?

pomrlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 04:11:58 PM »
I agree--I am still waiting to hear from Case [go figure] but it remains one of my top choices....Im not sure I have a slight chance of being admitted if at all but I will say that I was VERY impressed with the school as well as its students.

I was at an open house a few months back and enjoyed the tour the most--the students were clearly in love with their school, sections, and professors. The professors and admissions personnel were very open to discussion and greeted each prospective applicant personally, asking if we had any questions and sticking around for some general chit chat.

When I first started looking at law schools I emailed a professor there about a program....not thinking he would ever return my email, and certainly not with a personalized message. He replied literally an hour later with a very nice message inviting me to the school and to his classes.

Lastly, I was blown away with the facilities this school has--the library is the best of any of the schools I have visited, and I seem to compare each schools set up to the one at Case.  Not that this is a HUGE part of my decision, but it was a very nice touch....

Like I said, I was VERY impressed!!! I am still crossing my fingers but I have sent in a seat deposit to another school....we will see.  ;)

zdub378

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »
I agree--I am still waiting to hear from Case [go figure] but it remains one of my top choices....Im not sure I have a slight chance of being admitted if at all

I called Case this morning to check my status; whoever answered told me that they're still admitting people and probably won't have the class filled until May.  The application deadline isn't even until April 2 according to an email I got from them.  It's pretty annoying, especially since I've already heard back from other, higher ranked schools that I applied to on the same day, and gotten scholarship offers from them.  I can't understand why it's taking so long, since I'm in their bracket number wise, and have good LORs.

mikeizrai

• View Profile
    • Email
Case Money and Benefits or Schools like Cardozo
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »
I have been accepted into Case Western with a 13,000 dollar scholarship and a promise of a research assistant position with Michael Scharf, the director of the International Law Program. He told me over the phone that he has only 5-10 research assistants from the entire school, and that I could be writing chapters and even co-authoring articles with him by my 3rd year. On the other hand, I have been accepted into schools that have a better location, and better prospects at making money- with increased debt of course. What should I do? I am hesitant...

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »
re: housing. i live in little italy and recommend it. that's the area around right around murray hill and random road.
it's walking distance from the law school and cheap - i pay $350 to share a 2-bedroom. the downside is the heating bills are high in the winter cause the houses are on the old side.
case '09

jhertzo

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:52:18 AM »
I just finished 1L at Case and can answer questions if you have any.
CWRU '10