Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Strangest Rejections / Headscratchers?!  (Read 10244 times)

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strangest Rejections / Headscratchers?!
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 05:03:04 PM »
You have missed your vocation.  Why are you bothering with law school?  You should be writing for Harlequin.

I'll try to use smaller words and simpler sentences so you can follow along...

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
I was WLed at American with a 168 and a 3.87... It's gotta be yield protection.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 05:10:15 PM »
You have missed your vocation.  Why are you bothering with law school?  You should be writing for Harlequin.

I'll try to use smaller words and simpler sentences so you can follow along...

I an quivering with anticipation. 

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
I probably should just skate on out of here and keep my opinion to myself but I find some of this spouting particularly small minded and not a little disappointing.  I am in somewhat unique situation in that I am applying to law school as an older (part time) student at the same time as my oldest daughter is applying to college as an undergraduate.   I am (we are) white middle/upper middle class.  I have spent a good amount of time talking to my daughter who is terrific student about realizing that she is going to be competing against lots of really talented other students some of whom are of different cultural and racial backgrounds and not only are the colleges going to be trying to create a diverse student body which would be to her benefit because in the world she is going to live and work in it would be great disservice for her not to be exposed to as many different and varied peoples as is possible, but also because I hope it will continue to shape her perception of the world as place in which it is natural for all different kinds people to co-exist and function homogenously. 

I have also tried to prepare her for the fact that there will be people of color who will be given an advantage in the admissions process.  In short, that schools will be accepting students with lesser grades and scores than she and while it might be tempting to be angry and see this as unfair, it is important to understand that it exactly the opposite; It is her chance (albeit not volitional) to help redress a situation that had been firmly entrenched in the American Psyche from it's inception (1617?) until (arguably) 1968.  Perhaps it is because I remember life in the 1960s (although just a child) I realize that the disadvantages and biases that existed for so long cannot begin to be reversed or mediated in just one generation, or two or maybe even 5 and in some areas of the deep south 10 or more.  Although we all would like to see the sun rise and set on our own desires and expectations I believe (and I would never assume that anyone else should have to believe what I believe) that we have a moral obligation to look at the world as being more than that-- it should be a collective, a continuum.  While it is easy to say "It wasn't me who was a bigot," or "I never owned slaves, my great-grandparents never owned slaves, why should I have to be punished?" or even more insidiously "He grew up in a middle class neighborhood, His family has more money than me, why should he get in over me with worse grades?"  realize that until 1954 in the Sweatt V. Painter case (thats only 54 years a long time I suppose if you're 21 but for those of you talk to your grandparents about what life was like in the 40's and 50's) blacks could be and were routinely excluded from "white" law schools (even if their scores were higher). 

I have told my daughter that we are able walk down the street and no one sees us and identifies us by our SAT or LSAT scores; We carry that inside and can choose or not to show or disclose it and thus can avoid being judged or categorized fairly or unfairly at our discretion.  With hope, someday the same may be true of race, but until that day comes what we can do to help move toward that end is to allow with grace and dignity someone whose color has been made for centuries an ignominious badge,  to stand in front of us, higher or lower scores not withstanding.

I will try to take what acceptances I get and be grateful.  I hope many of you can do the same.

Thank you for that  :)
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »
I was WLed at American with a 168 and a 3.87... It's gotta be yield protection.

Would imagine so

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »
Save your affirmative action debates for some other avenue of expression that won't change anything - this thread is about the weird rejections people get from law schools.

What the hell is yield protection anyway? I've heard that term more than once.
UC Hastings Class of 2011 !!!!

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 02:37:32 AM »
Ah, I see. That's kinda what I was thinking.

It's stupid though - for example, had I gotten into UW Seattle, I would have seriously had to give it some thought, especially considering how low their tuition is and how much lower cost of living in Seattle is compared to Cali.

In any case, I can see your (and the law schools') point - why offer it to someone who probably won't go when u can offer it to someone who definitely will. I just wish I had known that before I filled out my apps. Ah well.
UC Hastings Class of 2011 !!!!

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2008, 09:16:56 PM »

I got waitlisted at BC. My mom and I laughed when we opened the letter and I immediately withdrew my app (which is what they were counting on - YP). I'm not sure what my scores were compared to their averages, but to give you an idea I've got scholarships at 4 T14s

VBVAZRockz

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2008, 10:53:13 PM »
I got rejected at W&M but got in to YLS and SLS.. No idea why?
YLS'11

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 03:05:01 AM »

Yeah, I know you weren't referring to me. But I don't care who you were referring to. Spew hate elsewhere please. It's unpleasant.

For the record: Not all white guys are evil. Some are awesome. See: my awesome boyfriend, Al Gore. Some are mostly awesome. See: John Edwards. But if you're the kind that takes the attitude that "feminists" think that "white men are evil," then you're probably quite further along on the a-hole spectrum, yes. So congrats! You're a shithead! Well done you!

In that whole AA argument, we missed the most prominent fact presented: that Dashrashi is extremely well connected, although Tipper might be kind of pissed about this.

My 2c.. Mathlete has a point, but the anger at that person was completely unnecessary. This country blows in many ways, it screws everybody in the long run.