Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rejected at Geo Mason? Read this!  (Read 1299 times)

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rejected at Geo Mason? Read this!
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
I was doing some reseach on LSN last night and noticed that there are scads of applicants who, number wise, should have gotten into GMU and yet did not.  Also, there are people who got in or were waitlisted with weaker #'s than those rejected.  I've also read threads on here about how quirky their admissions decisions are this year.

So, I'm trying to figure out what's going on......

Here's one possibility... Did everyone adhere tightly to the 500 word limit for the PS?

Perhaps they're automatically dinging EVERYONE who had 501 words or more?

If you got dinged at Mason, post here and tell us your numbers and whether your PS was over 500 words.  Let's see if there's a trend.

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected at Geo Mason? Read this!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
I believe my PS was quite a bit over 500 words but still on 2 pages.
EDIT:  I was rejected.
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

AllTimeLow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »
I got in and my personal statement was 574 words. It was cut down from around 1,200 words and I edited as much as I possibly could without losing important information. 

LSAC website gave me something like 76% odds of getting in, so it was not a huge surprise. However, I was informed from several friends that specifically for George Mason the number calculators really don't help. I hear they are fairly tight with applications and who they admit due to the sheer volume of applications. If it looks like you only applied because it was a free application and your application was typo ridden or you didn't follow the direction, they are inclined to reject you regardless of numbers.

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
All Time Low and TimBeConfused, thanks for the info.

J. Cash... you didn't speak to the issue I raised but thanks for the rather obvious and unsolicited analysis of my shot at Mason.  I'm aware of what my long-shots are. This whole endeavor is a long-shot for me, why dream small?   I have not heard back from any schools in the reg. decision cycle yet (including Mason).

Anyway, back to the Mason issue.  AllTimeLow's comment that Mason gets a lot of thrown-together, half-assed applications (my words) because they don't charge a fee if you apply through LSAC is interesting.   If GMU wanted to prevent that, why not just charge the fee? 

I'm still interested in other's posts about the size of the PS and whether or not they got into Mason.

AllTimeLow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:49:57 PM »
In regards to your question about why they don't charge a fee, it's to their advantage to reject people. I don't work at GMU so obviously I cannot be certain of their reasoning, however I can venture a guess. Selectivity is one of the factors for rankings and, as we have seen, ranking position can be the difference between a Dean of Admission getting a promotion or getting fired. GMU location puts it in competition for students with GWU, Georgetown, UVA, W&L and W&M. Therefore it's ideal to maximize ranking in the factors they can control.
The downside is, there are going to be a lot of additional applications and potentially you hurt your yield figures. The high volume of application and the time used reviewing can be diminished by say, limiting the personal statements to 500 words and not encouraging additional statements. Each application is then condense and you can review a great number more appliations in the same time frame. In regards to yield, that is potentially off set by higher admission numbers for accepted applicants. Obviously, they've found recent success in finding a balance within their program and in selecting applicants who fill out their class and provide advancement in regards to their admission standards. I'm not sure how much of that success can be attributed to their free application approach, but it would be interesting to find out.

In short,
+ Higher Admission (GPA/LSAT) Numbers
+ Higher Selectivity Rating

0 (Neutral) Time spent on application.

- Yield Rate

If anyone else would like to add their thoughts or comments on this feel free. I am by no means an expect in the field of admission and would appreciate any helpful insight correcting the errors I likely made.

Another thing to consider. LSN is self reported and many people, and I do mean many, overstate their numbers. I would look at George Mason's own published figures from the previous year to get a better idea.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
FWIW, I was rejected.  My PS was 573 words.

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »
All Time Low and TimBeConfused, thanks for the info.

J. Cash... you didn't speak to the issue I raised but thanks for the rather obvious and unsolicited analysis of my shot at Mason.  I'm aware of what my long-shots are. This whole endeavor is a long-shot for me, why dream small?   I have not heard back from any schools in the reg. decision cycle yet (including Mason).

Anyway, back to the Mason issue.  AllTimeLow's comment that Mason gets a lot of thrown-together, half-assed applications (my words) because they don't charge a fee if you apply through LSAC is interesting.   If GMU wanted to prevent that, why not just charge the fee? 

I'm still interested in other's posts about the size of the PS and whether or not they got into Mason.
No offense, but it seems as if you're a bit too bitter about being rejected from GMU. I agree with J.Cash, you're by no means an autoadmit. Even if you were statistically above GMU's 75 percentiles, it still wouldn't be unheard of to be rejected. I have friends that have been rejected by schools similar in ranking to GMU with substantially higher numbers and better soft factors than yours.
The point is that some law schools make holistic decisions on some applicants and statistical predictor decisions on others. Knowing where you fall compared to others is virtually impossible(unless you know someone on the admissions committee whose willing explain your candidacy).

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 03:54:26 PM »
For the THIRD time now, I have not been rejected (yet) by GMU or any other school in the reg. decision cycle.

I have nothing to be bitter about because I have no decisions back yet.

I have app's pending at 4 schools.  I was rejected Ed at UVA, which I expected, but I had a fee waiver so why not take a shot?

I was merely noting a curious aspect of admissions at GMU and seeking further information.  As potential law students aren't we supposed to be curious about gaps in the existing information?
Sheesh.  I don't know why some posters here need to diverge off of the issue raised. Can we have a little self discipline here?

If you can speak to the size of your PS and whether you're numbers indicated a high probablity of admission, then I'd love to hear from you.  Otherwise, tell your mother.

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »
For the THIRD time now, I have not been rejected (yet) by GMU or any other school in the reg. decision cycle.

I have app's pending at 4 schools.  I was rejected Ed at UVA, which I expected, but I had a fee waiver so why not take a shot?

I was merely noting a curious aspect of admissions at GMU and seeking further information.  As potential law students aren't we supposed to be curious about gaps in the existing information?
Sheesh.  I don't know why some posters here need to diverge off of the issue raised. Can we have a little self discipline here?

If you can speak to the size of your PS and whether you're numbers indicated a high probablity of admission, then I'd love to hear from you.  Otherwise, tell your mother.

Huh, not sure, but I initially read your post as you were rejected by GMU.  I'm not alone on that.  By rereading your post, I'm not sure why some of us are getting confused.  Sorry for mistakingly thinking you were some bitter guy blaming a rejection on the inability to color within the lines.

Now, to stay on topic...  I wish I could be an adcom for one day so I could personally see the mistakes that people make in the application process.  I've heard the advice to make sure your app is free of typos and grammatical errors over and over.  I'm assuming this happens much more than we'd expect.  Also, multiple arrests, negative letters of recommendation, personal statements that make the applicant come off as arrogant and privileged, etc...  In other words, how many are people their own worst enemy?
Same here.
I initially thought of the same thing. I'd say  a rejection letter from a school due to over extending the word limit would be ridiculous. You saw the post on your other thread, so I'm assuming that issue is solved.

TRad,
I think you may have become too concerned with the statistical factors(namely LSAT and GPA) of the law school application process. IMO, this is not your fault...the general feeling is that there is such thing as an "auto-admit" and a reach/target/etc. This general belief is wrong and I think people would be surprised to find out how many applicants are accepted below and above the quartiles. With the exception of a few schools, most schools evaluate an application holistically. No one can understand why an applicant would be accepted to Harvard Law and then not accepted to UC-Berkeley(a real-life situation for one of my friends)--when statistically he was what people would call a "long shot" for both.

Honestly, it seems that your so convinced that law school admissions are a numbers game that it has led you to believe that other insignificant factors lead to rejection letters for those  GMU applicants that should(in your opinion) have a reasonable chance. I'm not an authority on admissions processes, however, I can say with confidence that extending your PS by fifty words will not subsequently lead one to be rejected. GMU is not prestigious enough to ding applicants for this case. This is what the Yale, Stanford, Harvard (and other t-14) schools take heavily as they must reject so many qualified applicants.

I hope you can see past this number game.
Best of luck!
Hope you get in!