Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PACE LAW SCHOOL  (Read 1856 times)

shelfgirl

• View Profile
PACE LAW SCHOOL
« on: March 15, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »
Any thoughts about Pace vs. NYLS?

Just_Chexin

• View Profile
Re: PACE LAW SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »
Bump. I'd also like to hear if anyone has any knowledge/opinions on Pace Law.

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:23:43 PM »
same here

nerdmeist

• dum dum dum dummm
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iexbeeonz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »
NYLS and Pace were the two schools that I was trying to decide between.  I think that I've finally made up my mind, and I plan to attend NYLS. 

My decision was made mainly due to the following things.
1.)  I'm interested in Mental Health Law, which NYLS is big on (ie: Online MDL program)
2.)  It's close to where I live, so I won't have to leave my "comfort zone"
3.)  Pace has dorms, which look awfully small.  Not sure I want to live in cramped quarters with other law students.  The rent in White Plains seems outrageous.
4.)  White Plains is car territory as far as I'm concerned, and I won't be able to afford a car while in law school.

Pace offered me 3x more money than NYLS, and NYLS is more expensive.  After reading what I just wrote, I am back to being undecided!  Damn it!

I would like to hear some opinions too! ???

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:25:15 PM »
Depends on what you want to do with your degree. If it's clean bathrooms or houses, go to Pace. If you're more interested in doing janitorial work in big offices, I'd go to NYLS.

nerdmeist

• dum dum dum dummm
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iexbeeonz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
Depends on what you want to do with your degree. If it's clean bathrooms or houses, go to Pace. If you're more interested in doing janitorial work in big offices, I'd go to NYLS.

I'm sure that little tidbit was about as helpful to everyone else here as it was to me.  Thanks. 

Just_Chexin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

Come on, is that really helpful? I don't understand why people get off on making nasty comments to others genuinely seeking advice, but then again I never did relate to most people my age.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »

I'm sure that little tidbit was about as helpful to everyone else here as it was to me.  Thanks. 

If you had any sense it should be rather helpful

Hey, that's great.  How are your top choices working out for you?

Columbia and NYU... I love NYC. Those two schools and I are a match made in heaven. Too bad I doubt they reciprocate my feelings  :'(

Oh.  I see.  Go bring your attitude somewhere else.  I'd say NYU or Columbia but you're not wanted there.

Those were my numbers (166/3.9), here's how my cycle went last year:

NYU - Ding
Columbia - WL, Ding
Cornell - WL, Ding (though I never followed up with a letter and I applied late)
Georgetown - Ding (applied extremely late, but expect a ding anyway)
Fordham - Accepted, $5k/year scholarship
BC - Accepted, forgot the money
BU - Accepted, ~$!0k/year scholarship

My advice: Apply to a few T14s (def. Cornell, your best shot), any of the 14-25s that you like, and maybe one safety outside of that.

Congrats on your T14 acceptances!

And I didn't attend any of them because they're not worth the money. Imagine what Pace and NYLS are like.

shelfgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »
I am really surprised at the immaturity of the responses to my post.  While some of us could go to a T1 school, it may not be in the plans because of financial reasons, and logistics.

Living in Manhattan with a family, I am more than content to attend Pace or NYLS.  I understand the competition and the desire to attend Columbia, NYU, or Fordham.  However, I prefer not to have the stress since Big Law is not in the plans for my future.

Ultimately, many graduates from regional schools can have a great and prestigious career depending on their attitudes and drive.

shelfgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »
How is it unsubstantiated?  I know a few people who graduated from NYLS and have amazing careers.  Of course, it is a bigger battle outside of NY/NJ to get a job. 

I have it narrowed down to Rutgers and Pace.  I am not wanting the financial burden when Big Law is not in my future, knowing that I will make contacts with internships and do not doubt I will have trouble finding a great job after college.