Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American-WCL: Does their high tuition make it worth going?  (Read 1509 times)

mzing12

• View Profile
American-WCL: Does their high tuition make it worth going?
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »
They're my first real acceptance so far, and I'm wondering, why on earth is their tuition higher than Georgetown's? That's ridiculous!

I know they're the "public interest" branded school, but how can anyone do that with 180k of debt, and what seems like a mediocre LRAP from American?

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: American-WCL: Does their high tuition make it worth going?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »
They're not worth it at full price. Most people I know from there are really struggling.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
They're not worth it at full price. Most people I know from there are really struggling.

TITCR

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »
WCL = Washington College of Law, American's law school.

It's the only school I've gotten into (no rejections, the rest pending). If I don't get into anywhere else (Fordham, Cardozo), it might not be worth it to go anywhere. American's tuition is just too much to justify going.

Numbers: 164, 3.28, 3 years work experience as the managing writer for the headquarters of an international corporation.

pamar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »
wel i got a good scholarship to American...

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 04:31:54 AM »
wel i got a good scholarship to American...

Congrats! You are one of the lucky few I believe....but that would certainly make the decision a bit more difficult than it is for most.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »
WCL = Washington College of Law, American's law school.

It's the only school I've gotten into (no rejections, the rest pending). If I don't get into anywhere else (Fordham, Cardozo), it might not be worth it to go anywhere. American's tuition is just too much to justify going.

Numbers: 164, 3.28, 3 years work experience as the managing writer for the headquarters of an international corporation.

Did you target any schools that will give you ducats?  Or only private schools with outrageous tuitions that won't give you any money?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »
I go to GW with a handful of American transfers.  It is my understanding that they all liked the law school, however, job prospects aren't real great out of American and that's why you go to law school in the first place.  Absent being top of your class, Biglaw is unlikely.

You are in a major market where you are the #3 ranked school, plus all the other T14 students that want to work in Washington.

It's definitely not worth full price and from what I hear, scholarships are few and far between.

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 01:50:47 PM »
I got a 15k scholarship to Cardozo and something about being a Public Service Scholar. Are they any better as far as jobs go? I live in NYC now, and almost want to get the hell out of there.

If I went to American I'd probably just work to transfer to GW or Georgetown anyway.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 05:00:23 PM »
I got a 15k scholarship to Cardozo and something about being a Public Service Scholar. Are they any better as far as jobs go? I live in NYC now, and almost want to get the hell out of there.

If I went to American I'd probably just work to transfer to GW or Georgetown anyway.

Don't ever count on transferring though.  Everyone at American hopes to end up at GW or Georgetown and it isn't easy.  It may seem easy, but law school isn't like undergrad. You are on a forced curve and everyone is intelligent.