Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara or DePaul for IP / tech law  (Read 1216 times)

stranger

• View Profile
    • Email
Santa Clara or DePaul for IP / tech law
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »
I could use some input on this decision.  I've got $45k to DePaul, and the cost of living in Chicago is far better than the cost of living in the Bay Area...but I suspect that the potential for employment is going to be better in Silicon Valley.  I do like Chicago -- I like an urban environment.  Both schools seem to have significant merits.  I'm just looking for a good school and good opportunities when I get out.  Any suggestions?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara or DePaul for IP / tech law
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:36:07 PM »
Do you have a background that would make you eligible to take the patent bar? If not, then I'd seriously consider not going into IP, because most employers who are looking to hire for IP really want someone who has the ability to work on things only those who have passed the patent bar are allowed to do.

If you do have the background, then go to Santa Clara. Santa Clara is considered a power-house for IP law, and indeed, it's high average salary is because of those who graduate and work in IP. I think Santa Clara is worth it for IP, but in general, anyone with a technical background is very desirable for many law firms. I vote Santa Clara. I don't know much about DePaul. I live here in the Bay. It's in a great part of the city. Living here is great, plus great weather, you can't beat that.

stranger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:37:50 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion; that's a perspective I hadn't considered.  I'm actually going into law school after a long career in internet security, so yes, I have a technical background.  I'm looking at tech law from a background in practical application of it.

rock.it

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:05:52 PM »
Santa Clara has a greater national reputation for Intellectual Property than DePaul.  So, unless you think you want to practice in Chicago, or money is really a huge issue, I'd pick Santa Clara.