Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMich($) v. Duke ($$) v. Vandy ($$$) v. UVa v. GTown (?)  (Read 2348 times)

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: UMich($) v. Duke ($$) v. Vandy ($$$) v. UVa v. GTown (?)
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »
OP, UVa is fairly generous with aid, especially since they don't require need access.  I'd say see what happens with UVa aid and then send in their offer---or you can send in Duke's offer and see if you can haggle.  Mich gave me around the same amount last year, though I'm sure that had I sent in my other offers, they would have raised their offer.

Yeah, definitely wait to see what you get from UVA (unless it's getting to be too late to properly haggle) and then propose it to Michigan. I was a paltry waitlist admit last year and they were still willing to match what I had from comparable schools (I'm guessing that means T14).

If they won't match it though, and you really have no preference to where you live or work after graduation, I'd go with whatever is the cheapest T14. And that means cheapest overall, so taking into account COL and everything. But I'm very debt averse, so your priorities might be different.

Sidenote: Hi MCB! Can you believe 1L year is almost over?

DeeDee: When did you get your offer of admission from the waitlist?  I'm really hoping for some good news from UMich, but I'm wondering about timing - especially on the subject of financial aid.  Thanks!  :)
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 09:34:02 AM »

I thought about Michigan for awhile. Then I compared actual data on career placement, and Duke blows Michigan out of the water.

Here is a complete flame! Michigan has a much much much better alumni base and reputation in the legal community. The OP must have found this information on an unemployed Duke alums personal webpage.

Czar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »

I thought about Michigan for awhile. Then I compared actual data on career placement, and Duke blows Michigan out of the water.

Here is a complete flame! Michigan has a much much much better alumni base and reputation in the legal community. The OP must have found this information on an unemployed Duke alums personal webpage.

Wrong, Michigan troll. Check out lawfirmaddict for the evidence that you're wrong and he is actually correct.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
Bump.  Virginia just blew me away with a 24k/year merit based scholarship.  New thoughts with this information?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 06:54:11 PM »
I'd say it's between UVa and Mich- and it depends on who will give you the most money. I'd tell UVa about your Mich scholarship and i bet they will match it or even beat it. The two are pretty much the same when it comes to prestige so your choice should come down to personal preferences.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »
I'd say it's between UVa and Mich- and it depends on who will give you the most money. I'd tell UVa about your Mich scholarship and i bet they will match it or even beat it. The two are pretty much the same when it comes to prestige so your choice should come down to personal preferences.

UVa now has the better scholarship, it's 24k per year vs. Mich's 9k.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 01:55:06 PM »
Bump
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
Michigan - you'll have the best options in terms of type of work and geography (in my opinion)
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »
Michigan - you'll have the best options in terms of type of work and geography (in my opinion)

agreed.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »
Bump.  Virginia just blew me away with a 24k/year merit based scholarship.  New thoughts with this information?

Did you let Michigan know?  I've heard that they're pretty proactive in responding to UVA offers.