Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMich($) v. Duke ($$) v. Vandy ($$$) v. UVa v. GTown (?)  (Read 2406 times)

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
UMich($) v. Duke ($$) v. Vandy ($$$) v. UVa v. GTown (?)
« on: March 15, 2008, 01:19:08 AM »
So I figured I'd ask for some advice on picking a school since it seems to be the thing to do.  Basically, I'd like to be a criminal prosecutor and eventually a judge, if possible.  I'm not adverse to working BIGLAW for a few years to pay down debts but, while I don't want to be impoverished, I'm not doing this for the money.  That being said, I mostly see choosing a law school as weighing probable debt against career prospects.  I have no regional, class size, or pretty much any preference except that on-campus housing is a plus, but not a huge one.  The schools I've been accepted to and yearly offers of money, including need and merit, are:

Michigan - $18,000
Duke - $18,000
Virginia - $24,000
GTown - Haven't heard anything about money, but still a possibility from my understanding
Vandy - $33,000
(numbers updated)
I've also been deferred at Chicago and Harvard and waitlisted at Columbia and Penn.

Any input, especially comparative, would be very appreciated.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UMich($) v. Duke ($$) v. Vandy ($$$) v. UVa v. GTown (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:27:56 AM »
i vote for michigan...probably the best compromise of career prospects and some sort of financial assistance. that being said, i don't think uva or duke would completely limit your options in biglaw or as a judge.

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »
Well, maybe you know this, but I think Michigan and Georgetown are the only ones listed that offer on-campus student housing. If I were you, passing up $33,000/year at Vandy would be very hard to pass up if I wanted to be a criminal prosecutor. You don't sound gung-ho about working BigLaw, so I think Vandy makes sense. And even if you changed your mind, top half at Vandy should get you market pay somewhere.
UVA Law Class of 2011

laughing hard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:49:46 PM »
I would second the Michigan vote. Prospects out of that school are great all over the country, and getting a high-paying job to pay down debt shouldn't be a problem.
UCLA Law Class of 2011

doibhilin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 12:54:41 AM »
I was in a similar position last year.

$10k/year at Michigan, $20k/year at Duke, and about $33k/year at BC. Also, nothing at Georgetown. I didn't apply to UVA.

I thought about Michigan for awhile. Then I compared actual data on career placement, and Duke blows Michigan out of the water. I did find Michigan's on campus housing appealing, but I felt like they wanted me to pay an extra $30k just because they were a single ranking ahead of Duke in USNWR.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:45 AM »

$10k/year at Michigan, $20k/year at Duke, and about $33k/year at BC. Also, nothing at Georgetown. I didn't apply to UVA.

I thought about Michigan for awhile. Then I compared actual data on career placement, and Duke blows Michigan out of the water. I did find Michigan's on campus housing appealing, but I felt like they wanted me to pay an extra $30k just because they were a single ranking ahead of Duke in USNWR.

So you chose Duke?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 01:18:34 AM »
OP, UVa is fairly generous with aid, especially since they don't require need access.  I'd say see what happens with UVa aid and then send in their offer---or you can send in Duke's offer and see if you can haggle.  Mich gave me around the same amount last year, though I'm sure that had I sent in my other offers, they would have raised their offer.
Columbia 3L

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:58:25 AM »
OP, UVa is fairly generous with aid, especially since they don't require need access.  I'd say see what happens with UVa aid and then send in their offer---or you can send in Duke's offer and see if you can haggle.  Mich gave me around the same amount last year, though I'm sure that had I sent in my other offers, they would have raised their offer.

Yeah, definitely wait to see what you get from UVA (unless it's getting to be too late to properly haggle) and then propose it to Michigan. I was a paltry waitlist admit last year and they were still willing to match what I had from comparable schools (I'm guessing that means T14).

If they won't match it though, and you really have no preference to where you live or work after graduation, I'd go with whatever is the cheapest T14. And that means cheapest overall, so taking into account COL and everything. But I'm very debt averse, so your priorities might be different.

Sidenote: Hi MCB! Can you believe 1L year is almost over?

doibhilin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:27 AM »

So you chose Duke?

Oh, yeah. And I'm glad that I did.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »
Michigan or Duke. You can't go wrong with either choice.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L