Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: twice arrested, now what?  (Read 3220 times)

Em Woods

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: twice arrested, now what?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 01:22:38 AM »
 People ALWAYS forget about the character review before the bar. It's bad enough having too many traffic tickets. Even worse to have DUIs and arrests. Good luck, my dad is on the board for our state, and I can imagine what a jerk he is to people....
"Anything easy ain't worth a damn" - Coach Woody Hayes

bratgirl9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »
The thing is, they are looking for improvement.  If you had just been arrested once, and never again you could probably sell it off as youth.  Two arrests could change things.  It may make a bar question whether you are honest, reliable, trustworthy.  They will question whether you are rehabilitated since the second incident was two years later.

I was cited for a fake ID at a bar when I was 20 (not arrested, but cited, and dismissed by court because the police officer did not show up), and I had to write addendums to my law school apps.  My dad works for the courts and said that he met a young new attorney with the same exact situation, and nathe bar in pennsylvania made her testify in front of a committee before she could be admitted to the bar.  That's for something that happened 11 years ago, with no other incidents of any kind.  You should really check to see if you will be allowed to be admitted to a state bar because unfortunately, as unfair as it can seem, they take that kind of stuff seriously.  Although I will say the disorderly conduct charge doesn't seem as big a deal as the petty larceny charge.  They really worry about lawyers handling client funds.

bratgirl9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:18:58 PM »
And one more thing:  you must be totally honest on each and every law school application.  When you go to get admitted to a bar, the bar will look at every law school application you submitted to see if there are any inconsistencies on your answers to the character and fitness questions.

mpk1516

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:21 AM »
I'll second bartgirl's honesty comments. Now Governor O'Malley of Maryland took a lot of heat a year or two back when someone looked at his law school app and realized that he never disclosed a DUI. Keep in mind that this was after practicing law and serving as Mayor for the better part of 2 decades and prior to the electronic age.

While you may never be running for Governor, it can come back to haunt you in other ways.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »
Don't worry about the offenses themselves.  I know people who went to law school and got admitted to the bar with drug dealing and disorderly conduct raps.

Unless you have a long string of serious offenses, nobody will care UNLESS you come across as smug or unrepentant.

Call up the courts, get the official dates and docket numbers (or whatever they use in your state) and the exact wording of each offense and penalty. List them.  Then write a 1-2 paragraph explanation of what happened for the worst offenses in your own words and tell how you learned from them.

I had a dismissed drug-possession charge and some minor summonses that I wasn't sure I was even supposed to include in all of my apps, but I did anyway just to be safe, and it hasn't seemed to matter in my cycle.

Use it as an extra essay topic to show another side of yourself.  Above all things, err on the side of caution, because the only way this will hurt you from here on out is if you BS it and someone finds out.  If you're upfront now, you have nothing to fear.

Think of it this way:  This is the first test to show that you are ethically fit to be a lawyer.  They are asking you to come clean.  If you blow this part of the process, you fail the first test. 

"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
i appreciate all of the feedback.  for the record the disorderly conduct was related to a bar fightAs for bar eligibility I have been looking into that but no one has gotten back to me yet.  I live and plan on practicing in NY so if any knows their rules I would appreciate the info.

How ironic.  :-X

zdub378

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »
People have become lawyers with DUI's and other much worse things than this.  Is disorderly conduct really that much of a problem?

The way it was explained to me by a couple of folks who help with the character reviews is that drugs & alcohol aren't considered serious moral issues, and are pretty common in the profession.  The larceny thing is a bigger problem because it raises questions about ethics and since attorneys often have to hold valuables/money/whatever in trust for clients, it raises concerns about whether they'll embezzle.  As one attorney put it, you can drive drunk, get into an accident, and seriously injure someone and you'll get a suspension, but if you steal or do something sex related, you'll get disbarred. 

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »
People have become lawyers with DUI's and other much worse things than this.  Is disorderly conduct really that much of a problem?

The way it was explained to me by a couple of folks who help with the character reviews is that drugs & alcohol aren't considered serious moral issues, and are pretty common in the profession.  The larceny thing is a bigger problem because it raises questions about ethics and since attorneys often have to hold valuables/money/whatever in trust for clients, it raises concerns about whether they'll embezzle.  As one attorney put it, you can drive drunk, get into an accident, and seriously injure someone and you'll get a suspension, but if you steal or do something sex related, you'll get disbarred. 

lmao. And we wonder why people think attorneys are sleazebags.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

thejoker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 12:24:54 PM »
Is there a website or something that lays out which states are more stringent?  I've looked into State bar websites, and they seem vague, if not unhelpful.  Plus, one can spend hours trying to find specific info and come away with nothing much.  Anyone have any ideas where you can find a condensed state by state guide of bar strictness?  Thanks. ???