Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Biglaw in Miami  (Read 2910 times)

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Biglaw in Miami
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:02:47 AM »
I know the biglaw market is florida is relatively small. what schools ranked above UM and UF will place in the miami area? Seems to be that miami biglaw either requires t14 or a UM degree...thoughts?

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
Re: Biglaw in Miami
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:31:48 AM »
UF is possible.   Basically you need some combination of local connections, knowledge of spanish, t14 degree (really, HYSCCN), or graduate near the very top of your class elsewhere.

There just isn't a whole lot of "BIGLAW" in Miami, and what there is, is a very attractive option for HYS grads and such. 

However, you can make a good living in midlaw/smaller law in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »
UF is possible.   Basically you need some combination of local connections, knowledge of spanish, t14 degree (really, HYSCCN), or graduate near the very top of your class elsewhere.

There just isn't a whole lot of "BIGLAW" in Miami, and what there is, is a very attractive option for HYS grads and such. 

However, you can make a good living in midlaw/smaller law in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm.
Where do you get your information?  I know a few people at my non-t14 school who had no problem landing offers at NALP firms (I'm not sure how broadly you define biglaw) in South Florida.  These students weren't even in the top 25% either.

From UF and UM, you likely need top 10-20% for a shot at such position. 

If you define biglaw as Vault 100, you're correct that there isn't a lot of biglaw in Miami.  However, I think Miami offers a relatively decent amount of opportunities at NALP firms.  After all, Miami is a smaller city than NYC, DC, Chicago, SF, LA, Dallas, San Diego, Atlanta, and a few others.  I think it offers roughly the same number of NALP opportunities as Boston, but that's just from off-hand recollection.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
Knowledge of Spanish is by no means necessary for biglaw in Miami.  It could get you out from behind your desk once in awhile though, to entertain clients or pick them up at the airport.