Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Davis  (Read 572 times)

jkochan

• View Profile
Waitlisted at Davis
« on: March 13, 2008, 02:14:57 PM »
Hey everyone. I've gotten into a lot of great schools for Fall 2008, but I just found out I was waitlisted at UC Davis. They are my number one choice, so this is a little frustrating. My GPA overall is 3.75 (I transferred so it's 3.58 at the UC Berkeley) and got a 166 on the LSAT. My GPA and LSAT are both above Davis's 75th percentile and I've gotten into a few schools ranked higher than UC Davis. Does anyone think this is an example of yield protection, or was it some deficiency in my application? I have good recs and ec's as well. I really dig the city and the classes/opportunities that the law school offers, so it is definitely still my first choice. Anyone experiencing the same issue with Davis or another school? What are you doing about it? What do you recommend I do?

jkochan

• View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Davis
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »
They received my app on November 7 and I went complete on November 16. I just heard from them yesterday (via status check). Weird stuff, I thought it was a safety.

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:55:37 PM »
I'm in the same situation.  My numbers aren't quite as good as yours, but I'm at their medians, I applied last year (got waitlisted with a 5 point lower LSAT), and have gotten into higher ranked schools.  I really thought I would get in here and was pretty shocked when I saw the waitlist letter on status checker yesterday.  What's going on with them this year!?
Boston College Class of 2011!

MIA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
I know that Davis strives for a very diverse class and tends to prefer applicants with life experience (I work with a former admissions staff member).

tashakies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 05:57:12 PM »
BUMP

ApesAMB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
I think there has to be something other than life experience that they are looking for.  I've been out of undergrad for 3 years and have what I think is quite unique work experience, but I'm still stuck on the WL.

ApesAMB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »
I wonder if since there are new reporting rules for US News, they are trying to raise their numbers...