Law School Discussion

Poll

a genie appears out of a bottle and offers you a choice.  which do you take?

a. poverty ends but Roe v. Wade disappears
34 (60.7%)
b. Roe v. Wade stays forever but so does poverty
8 (14.3%)
i'm not a liberal and i want to see
14 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 55

A poll for the liberals

A poll for the liberals
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:54:21 PM »
discuss.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: A poll for the liberals
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
I'd be awfully surprised if anyone sincerely votes for b. This is a no-brainer.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »

Consider me the outlier in this no-brainer then.

filet o' fish

• yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:30:24 AM »

i remember red once telling me that one of my polls was a no-brainer.  the choice was your entire family has a terrible fatal disease or everyone in africa has the same terrible fatal disease.

i disagreed with her.

I would too.

How?

That hypo is a no-brainer.

goaliechica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »

Consider me the outlier in this no-brainer then.

Fair enough. I don't mean that someone voting b has no brain, of course!  :D

I just think that while Roe is incredibly important, there are other ways to protect reproductive rights, and if there was somehow magically no poverty most of the problems with access, ability to travel to places with reproductive rights, receive quality medical care and birth control, etc. would be taken care of.

filet o' fish

• yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
I think you're rather purposely extrapolating too much from the poll.

In other words, if I (or others) say it's a "no-brainer," you're just masturbating intellectually to show that "No! This is most certainly a brainer if I ever saw one!"

Occam's Razor.

Put it in other words: choose between a disease wiping out your entire family, or wiping out millions of people you've never met on a continent most sadly feel is inferior to our own.

No-brainer.

goaliechica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:43:59 AM »

In other words, if I (or others) say it's a "no-brainer," you're just masturbating intellectually to show that "No! This is most certainly a brainer if I ever saw one!"

Occam's Razor, dude.

But it in other words: choose between a disease wiping out your entire family, or wiping out millions of people you've never met on a continent most sadly feel is inferior to our own.

What? Who are you talking to? Who is extrapolating too much from the poll?

filet o' fish

• yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »

Occam's Razor, dude.

But it in other words: choose between a disease wiping out your entire family, or wiping out millions of people you've never met on a continent most sadly feel is inferior to our own.

That other fellow.

goaliechica

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »

Occam's Razor, dude.

That other fellow.

Oh. Okay.

::backs off::

:D

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »

Occam's Razor.

Put it in other words: choose between a disease wiping out your entire family, or wiping out millions of people you've never met on a continent most sadly feel is inferior to our own.

No-brainer.

Is this directed at me or someone else?  Regardless, I don't think anyone was insisting on the "brainer-ness" of the question.  What I was getting at when I ribbed goaliechica for assuming that it was a "choice A, of course" no-brainer was that for others, including me, it might in fact be a "choice B, of course" no-brainer.

That said, goaliechica, you made me realize an assumption I made in deciding my answer.  You're right to point out that Roe v. Wade could be overturned and abortion could still be legal.  I took "keep roe v. wade" to mean "abortion remains legal" and "lose roe v. wade" to mean "abortion becomes illegal".  So to me, the question seemed to be one of eliminating a pressing societal problem (poverty) versus guaranteeing an individual freedom (abortion).  Therefore, I picked preserving the individual freedom.

There goes my productivity...