Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

All things being equal, should someone attend Rutgers-Newark or St. Johns?

Rutgers - Newark
 8 (34.8%)
St. John's
 11 (47.8%)
Unsure
 4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Rutgers Newark vs. St. John's  (Read 2612 times)

BBIH

• View Profile
Re: Rutgers Newark vs. St. John's
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »
lol, yes. Good to hear that I'm not the only one hearing these things.

Shinjuku

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »
i wouldn't be so sure quite yet. 

i continue to hear, albeit mainly anecdotally, that st. john's has substantially better placement in the city.  since i would rather work in the city than NJ, i would probably prefer st. john's in that instance.  this is, of course, assuming all things being equal.  if the price tag was significantly higher for one or the other, i would probably go to the cheaper choice.  st. john's IS higher ranked, and that doesn't mean nothing.

on the other hand, the ranking difference may be trivial at this point.  there was a time not too long ago when rutgers was ranked in the 40's.  i'm not exactly sure what happened, but rutgers is well known by firms in the area, so i guess it's a bit of an enigma.

i actually am in a similar situation right now- accepted to rutgers with some $, and accepted to st. john's with a pretty big chunk of $$.  however, i was also just accepted to brooklyn and will probably just go there... but i have still been weighing these options.  i'd like to hear what other people think about it.
BLS '11

My LSN

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:27:47 AM »
I guess I'm in a slightly different place than most of the other posters here, as I've lived in Brooklyn for the last 7 years and am getting tired of the city.

I didn't apply to St. John's because I didn't want to live in Queens, especially in an area that has dubious access to public transportation.  I got into Rutgers-N with $12K/yr, and Brooklyn with $21K/yr. 

I have worked in Manhattan for 7 years, so the luster of working in the city has worn off.  Personally, I think I'd prefer a job in Jersey (if I had to choose). 

With that in mind, anyone know how Brooklyn places in Jersey?  I'm not exactly thrilled about living/going to school in and around Newark.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

ecrespol

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 11:03:23 PM »
Between Seton Hall, SJU, and Rutger's I would probably pick one of the NJ Schools. I would give the edge to Rutgers as it has the best reputation of the three. I think the reason why Ruters is ranked lower than Seton Hall is more a function of the fact that they have a huge level of "Diversity" in their incomming class (I suppose at a trade off to LSAT/GPA in many cases). Ulitmately I'm sure you will get a quality education at any of the three. SJU will probably give you better Queens/Long Island (and DA offices) Job Placement, while Rutgers will be better for Manhattan, and NJ. As to the point about location Downtown Newark is as safe or safer than the area around SJU, but its a business district, and you may have a better time living in Jersey City or Hoboken, which are a lot more fun.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 02:33:14 AM »
How is St. John's winning this survey?

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
My guess is that people hear "Rutgers" and think of New Jersey and then think "My God, why would anyone want to go there?"

I also think 75% of the people who vote don't actually read the thread.  Finally, something like 4x as many people apply to St. John's than do Rutgers (I think), so you get a lot of people who vote to assuage their own insecurities about where they should go/have applied to.

Rutgers is a fine school.  Their rankings (both campuses) seem to fluctuate between 80 and 65 every year, and while that's certainly deep Tier-2 land, their reputation and history have entrenched them into the area and they aren't going anywhere.  They have a very good rep in Jersey and a solid rep in the outlying areas. 

I mean, when the St. John's alum tells you to go to Rutgers, I think the answer is clear.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 10:22:31 PM »
Hi,

I'd like to point out that if PI work is the OP's goal...Newark probably has amazing opportunities, especially with Mayor Cory Booker, who is proving himself to be one of the most innovative mayors of what seemed like an utterly doomed city.  I didn't get into RN or St. John's, and while I'm very happy at Albany, I wish I could have gone to Rutgers.  However, in retrospect, I feel that I'm getting just as good if not a better legal education at Albany than I would at St. Johns, rank notwithstanding.

St. John's history is an interesting one, though.  The reason that Cuomo and Rangell went there way back when was that school's like Columbia and NYU weren't as apt to accept Jews, Italians, Catholics, or African-Americans as today.  So back then it was like an incubator for outstanding ethnic attorneys.  Howard certainly was like that decades ago.

Lower tuition + an amazing loan repayment program=advantage RN.  That is, if you're interested in PI like me.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

citykid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »
I say that a person should choose among these three (St. John's, RN, Seton Hall) based on the scholarship money each scholl gives. Since they're all T2 (some better ranked than others, however) all that will matter coming out will be grades and ranking for any given student seeking employment. You can get any job you want either in NJ or NY if you're ranked well in your class. Bottom line.

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »
I'd choose RUN.  I already go there.  I choose it over several NYC schools mainly because of the money. In my personal experience RUN places very well in NYC firms.  I know many students who have and will be summering in NYC.  I did so as well.  I worked at a law firm before LS and many of the attorneys spoke well of RUN. 

Although the school is in Newark, potential students should really come out and check the immediate area.  Its not the Newark you see on TV.  Yes, its nearby, but its not the same.  Safety hasnt been a concern for me.  And I usually walk to the garage down the block at 1 in the morning where the streets are empty, and nothing.  Similarly, SJU is located in in a nice neighborhood, but if you walk over the Grand Central and a few blocks south, you'll be in a not so nice area.  No biggie.

In the end I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  I was look for the best bang for the buck.  I do not regret taking RUN over higher ranked schools.  I love it.  I decided to stay in NYC and commute to Newark. The drive is about half to 45 minutes.  An my way back at night i get home in around 20 minutes. 

I know this is general info but im running out.  If you have any questions let me know.