Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Increasing Typing Skills  (Read 1753 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Typing Skills
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
I just took one of the typing tests this thread suggested and got 89 wpm, so that should be okay.  I don't think I read very fast for very long.  I can go really fast in spurts, but I'm pretty average if I read for a long time.  Any ideas on how to improve long-time speed and comprehension.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »
Though embarrassing when I think about it now, I actually mastered typing back in middle school from AOL Instant Messenger!
2L and counting...

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »
Though embarrassing when I think about it now, I actually mastered typing back in middle school from AOL Instant Messenger!

There was no such thing as AOL Instant Messenger in middle school, or high school for that matter!

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »

There was no such thing as AOL Instant Messenger in middle school, or high school for that matter!

I would say that I am younger than probably 95% of the people on LSD.
2L and counting...

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »
Definitely get Mavis Beacon, it's only about 20 bucks and definitely worth it.  I started using it when I was 5 and now I type 130 words a minute, more on a good day.

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 11:25:48 PM »
Definitely get Mavis Beacon, it's only about 20 bucks and definitely worth it.  I started using it when I was 5 and now I type 130 words a minute, more on a good day.

Thats an insance amount of wpm. Is that while copying something or writing your own thoughts?

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:39:29 PM »
Well I've only timed it copying something in a typing test, but I can generally type as fast as I am thinking or keep up with someone who is talking.  Hopefully it will come in handy during law school.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 12:36:37 AM »
As much as I hate to say it, I do think fast typing *can* be a substantial boon to your law school grades.

Most people use a "shotgun" approach on exams to one degree or another. On a given fact pattern, some things will be very important, while other things will not. Its often hard to figure out what is importaint. What ends up happening is that most people address as many issues as humanly possible in the time period. You get credit for answers the prof is looking for, you do not lose credit if you end up talking about things that turn out to be unimportant (within reason). The faster you type, the more you can address.

BUT

The people who really, really know their stuff can write less, because they have a better understanding of what should be important. However, all other things being equal, the faster typist will probably get a better grade.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 01:48:09 AM »
I think the reading problem is common among conservatives. You should really look into changing political affiliations.  ;D

Seriously, reading is all about practice- much of effective reading in law school is knowing what you should be looking for. You will get plenty of practice doing that over the course of the semester. Don't worry about it.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »
What about reading speed?  I cannot read at a consistently fast level for a long period of time.  I know 'reading' in general helps, but does anyone know of any program or course that would be useful?

There are some courses out there that teach accelerated reading techniques, but I don't how effective they are. Some of the courses are actually given at reputable universities (though not for college credit) so if you do decide to take this route  you might want to look into taking one offered by a university.
2L and counting...