Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Pittsburgh  (Read 743 times)

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
University of Pittsburgh
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »
Looks very likely I'll be going there due to a generous scholarship + in-state tuition. I'll probably get into Case Western as well, although I'm unsure of scholarship amounts...and the 35k tuition is insane.

Anyways, opinions on Pittsburgh?

Yak Herder

• University of Washington 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: University of Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
On the law school or the city?

The Law School: I know a couple of Pitt Law grads (and have been accepted myself).  My perspective is thus somewhat limited, but I'll take a stab.  While working as a legal assistant at a small firm, the attorneys said, "If you want to practice in Pittsburgh, go to Pitt."  That's basic but important advice.  If you know Western PA is where you want to end up, you'd save a bundle by going the Pitt route.  As with basically all decent law schools, you'll get a solid legal education.  This is as true of Pitt as it is of Penn (though your classmates might differ substantially).  Your grades and the name on the diploma will do the rest. My favorite Pitt Law faculty member: Jules Lobel.  The building is straight out of the Brutalist school, which is as bad as it sounds; luckily, it's what's inside that counts, and you'll be looking out.

The City:  Here I can speak with more authority, having lived in the 'Burgh for almost six years. Pittsburgh is a great "small big city."  There are famously few young people that stick around, but this means that those who do are able to make their mark and get noticed much more easily if they're doing something interesting.  The "Steel City" image is a thing of the past; Pittsburgh's new industries are universities, health care and research, and computer/tech.  The city has great neighborhoods with strong identities. It's got a "deep local" feel; a large percentage of the population has lived in the same house for substantially longer than the national average. The cost of living can't be beat.  Pittsburgh always seems to be on the verge of a renaissance but can never quite get there.  Oh, and if you don't like professional sports, just smile and keep your mouth shut.  Great museums and other cultural activities (free or nearly-free if you're a student)... I like Pittsburgh!
Accepted: Michigan, UCLA, Minnesota, U. of Washington, Northeastern, Pittsburgh, Temple
Denied: Harvard
Waitlisted: Berkeley, Penn, Texas
Pending: Cornell
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=YakHerder

todesgebruell

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:38:41 AM »
There's a good chance I'll be going to Pitt as well.  Are you going to the ASD on Mar 28?

PAlllDay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
I got accepted to PITT as well and will probably be going...Ill also be attending the ASD on the 28th and the breakfast on the 29th...what do you think we should wear (business professional or business casual)?

todesgebruell

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
I got accepted to PITT as well and will probably be going...Ill also be attending the ASD on the 28th and the breakfast on the 29th...what do you think we should wear (business professional or business casual)?

I would think casual. 

Anybody going to ASD from Penn State?  I'm looking for a ride.

Bliz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »
I attend Pitt and am more than willing to give honest feedback about it. Just send me a note.

mpk1516

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »
Bliz,

Can you give some thoughts on the job prospects? I am 90% set on Pitt, but I am a little unsure of the job prospects in the DC area or any area outside PA for that matter.

Bliz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Hey mpk1516. Sure, job prospects. Let me speak to summer employment first, since I am a 1L and have firsthand experience with that. I sent resumes out to firms all up the East Coast and got results. The primary problem is that there is often not immediate name recognition among firms and companies outside Pennsylvania and the surrounding states. That means more work for the job-seeker: You can't rely on the name of the school to get you an interview. There does seem to be some knowledge of the school in the DC area. The problem there, as well as in New York, Boston and the like, is that you're looking at a rather saturated market as far as law schools go. Again, though, I have found that what that means is just more legwork on your part. Career Services is only somewhat helpful in the nonlocal markets. They do a good job for the local market, though. In any event, among my closest 1L friends, one is staying in Pittsburgh for the summer, one is going to Cleveland, one is going to Washington state and one is going abroad. It's just not that difficult if you're willing to put in a little work.

Regarding full-time jobs after law school: The pattern is similar to that for summer employment. If you want to enter a nonlocal market right out of school, you'll have a little bit of work to do. Still, most of my 3L friends have jobs lined up outside Pennsylvania, so again, it's not a problem as long as you don't mind looking for and applying to jobs without Career Services' help. Not to unfairly disparage Career Services -- as I said, the staff does a good job in the local market, which in itself creates a different sort of opportunity. There are a decent number of larger firms in the area, so if you're willing to spend a couple years in Pittsburgh working, you'd have an easy time transferring to anywhere else in the country or outright changing jobs and moving.