Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre Law school prep courses  (Read 1129 times)

adcqtpie

• 161, 2.63
    • MSN Messenger - monicarparran@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thedcqtpie
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superstar577
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pre Law school prep courses
« on: March 21, 2004, 09:17:06 AM »
Is anyone thinking about or already decided to take on of these courses, such as  Bar/Bri?  On the one hand, I can see the benefit, but on the other, it could just be a waste of time...

Any thoughts from those who have taken them or those who plan to?

Thanks! ;D

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pre Law school prep courses
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 08:49:55 PM »
I think it really depends on your study habits.  I didn't take any courses but did study from several of the prep books out there (Kaplain's and Princeton Review's) and did well enough (164).  You might want to take several practice tests and see how you do before spending the money on the courses, imo.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 10:32:28 PM »
I think it really depends on your study habits.  I didn't take any courses but did study from several of the prep books out there (Kaplain's and Princeton Review's) and did well enough (164).  You might want to take several practice tests and see how you do before spending the money on the courses, imo.
Schoomp, I think you may have misunderstood the request.

There are courses out there for pre-law students offered by, for example Barbri, that are not LSAT study course, but pre-law study courses, that give already accepted students an idea of how to study in law school and what to expect.

Honestly, I've heard of the courses but never heard of anyone that took one.  Double checked with hubby (law school grad) and he wasn't even familiar with the course.

I checked out the Barbri website and looked at the pre-law prep course.  Looks like some good testimonials.  I'm just wondering though - I couldn't find a price for this course anywhere.  Were you able to locate one?  The price may be the undoing for me.

Karen W.

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 11:48:24 PM »
I have heard from a couple of lawyers that the Bar/Bri course is garbage, at least for their LSAT study course, but I also think one of them review to the Pre-law course as well. But as with the LSAT courses, there will be two sides to any course of this type. Just FYI, the Princeton REview as a 2 wk law school prep course called Law Preview.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 12:16:30 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding  :-

BriBar looks to be from 1000-1300 depending on when you sign up (http://www.lawschoolprep.com/enroll/register.shtm).

The only place I have read anything about BarBri is in PLS2 - the author thinks it is a really, really, really big waste of time and money...

However, if you are looking for some summer reading, I did start some of the reading suggested in PLS2.  Both PLS2 and several of the Aspen books recommended in it were recommended by a friend who just graduated from LS.  I've started both Civil Procedure and Constitutional Law (both by Aspen Publishing).  So far they seem to be fairly good - although CL is somewhat boring.  CP isn't though (or at least I have found it a pretty good read so far).

PLS2 recommends a lot of stuff.  I haven't gotten all of it (and realistically probably won't get all of it, but some of the recommendations).  As I said, a friend recommended PLS2 (and the Aspen series).  With PLS2, he said a lot of the info in it is pretty good, although not to get freaked out by the very pessimistic attitude (or at least from his experience it wasn't nearly as bad as the book makes it out to be).