Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you really think Obama can deliver on his promises?  (Read 6583 times)

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
Re: Do you really think Obama can deliver on his promises?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
"I would not scrap the idea of having standards that we want schools to achieve," Obama said.

It's really just semantics. He wants merit pay based on non-standardized testing it appears. The general point is that teachers, like all people, are generally lazy and need to be evaluated in some way to be paid on merit. There are too many teachers who suck yet somehow get tenure and continue to fail students. I can't be positive but I'm confident there's a lot of teachers who want no merit pay of any kind and would prefer equal pay because they don't want a positive competitive environment.

The real pandering is being done by Clinton. "Clinton said Monday in Iowa that merit pay for teachers "could be demeaning and discouraging." She favors giving more money to high-performing schools, which can then reward teachers." She gets the political points from teachers unions for not supporting merit pay but still gets to stealthly support it by using this convoluted method of merit pay. How is it demeaning and discouraging to get paid based on results? Yea, nothing in society rewards you for results. ::)

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »

"He would end standardized tests in favor of more complicated assessments"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2007-11-20-obama-education_N.htm

You're missing a piece.... It's ending standardized tests as a measure for teacher assessments/merit and funding for the school. Not ending standardized tests altogether which your quote insinuates. And if you ask 99% of teachers/educators, they favor this position in the sense that standardized tests shouldn't be a measure. It forces them to teach students how to pass the test, not actually learn and comprehend the material.
Penn Law Class of 2011

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 03:04:45 PM »

"He would end standardized tests in favor of more complicated assessments"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2007-11-20-obama-education_N.htm

You're missing a piece.... It's ending standardized tests as a measure for teacher assessments/merit and funding for the school. Not ending standardized tests altogether which your quote insinuates. And if you ask 99% of teachers/educators, they favor this position in the sense that standardized tests shouldn't be a measure. It forces them to teach students how to pass the test, not actually learn and comprehend the material.

I simply quoted the article, little lady.  And my point still stands: how does he intend to assess these teachers? 
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 03:42:34 PM »
That sounds like a much bigger difference than it is. That 2nd debate question was exaggerated because Obama, Clinton, and Edwards all agreed that while they want to withdraw from Iraq, they can't guarantee every single troop would be withdrawn, only the vast majority. What they really meant was not that they're not committed to withdrawal but that they're going to remove all of the combat troops and there may still be a small contingent remaining to protect civilian workers in Iraq and to fight Al Qaeda. It's the difference between 0 and maybe a small #. His answer to the question in the 2nd debate was not suggesting at all that he's actively considering keeping over 100,000 troops in Iraq.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 04:17:30 PM »
Did Obama have access to the same intelligence that Hillary had?  Was he still against the Iraq war even though he had intelligence that suggested Sadaam was developing nuclear weapons?   
We'll see what he will do if he is elected President.  It can be hard for an Anti-War candidate to make objective decisions about war.  If Iran develops tactical nuclear weapons, and they refuse to dismantle them, I hope he has the guts to make them.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »
Did Obama have access to the same intelligence that Hillary had?  Was he still against the Iraq war even though he had intelligence that suggested Sadaam was developing nuclear weapons?   
We'll see what he will do if he is elected President.  It can be hard for an Anti-War candidate to make objective decisions about war.  If Iran develops tactical nuclear weapons, and they refuse to dismantle them, I hope he has the guts to make them.

really? seems to me it's the pro-war candidates who have trouble making objective decisions about the war they supported that is failing miserably (i.e. bush administration forcing out fallon....) It's more logical that the ones supporting the war can't be objective b/c they don't want to look like the incompetent a$$es that they are and would do just that by admitting it's failing and needs to end (the objective observation).
Penn Law Class of 2011

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »

1. Hillary didn't even bother to read the NIE on Iraq.
2. Obama is not anti-war, he's anti-Iraq-war. He never expressed any opposition to the war in Afghanistan or the Gulf War for that matter.
3. If Iran has WMDs, I hope he has the guts to not go to war unless Iran tries to strike first. By your logic, we should be at war with North Korea, among other countries, right now. In my opinion, Goliath should not strike David first. If Iran really wants to commit suicide, they can try to attack the United States and then be overrun in 2 weeks or less. Ahmadinejad may not be too bright, but he likes his power just like everyone else. If you believe the story, most people think Saddam Hussein attacked Kuwait in 1991 because he felt he was being screwed by the other oil countries and felt his power in jeopardy as Iraq's economy struggled. If he felt secure in his power, he wouldn't risk it all to play out his ideology. I think Iran is the same way. People are greedy first, ideological second. In the long run, I think McCain is far more likely than Obama to overreact and start an unnecessary war just like we did with Iraq.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »
Obama is not a blank slate. 11 years in elected office provides a long track record that everyone chooses to ignore.

Link me three significant pieces of successful legislation that he has passed. Please.

3?  No problem.  How about 10?  (assuming you meant "sponsored/co-sponsored" instead of "passed" since individuals can't "pass" legislation - that's a job for the 2 houses)

1. The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 (law)
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ282.109.pdf

2. The Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 (law)
http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/110/s/s1.pdf

3. The Freedom of Information Act, 2007 Amendment (law)
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ175.110

4. The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Proliferation Act of 2006 (law)
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0609.larson.html

5. The Healthy Kids Act of 2007 (passed Senate)
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/il05_emanuel/healthy.pdf

6. The State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) Reauthorization Act of 2007 (passed Senate)
http://themiddleclass.org/bill/children039s-health-insurance-program-reauthorization-act-2007-revised-bill

7. The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006 (passed Senate)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Immigration_Reform_Act_of_2006

8. The Dignity for Wounded Warriors Act of 2007 (referred to the Senate Armed Services Committee for review)
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s713/show

9. Obama co-sponsored legislation with Senator Jim Talent (R-MO) which passed to give gas stations a tax credit for installing E85 ethanol refueling pumps.
http://obama.senate.gov/news/050729-congress_completes_highway_leg/

10. Obama sponsored an amendment that became law providing $40 million for commercialization of a combined flexible fuel vehicle/hybrid car within five years.
http://www.grist.org/feature/2007/07/30/obama_factsheet/

All told, during his first year in the U.S. Senate during the 109th congress in 2005-2006, Obama wrote 152 bills and co-sponsored another 427.

During his eight years as an Illinois State Senator, Obama sponsored over 820 bills.  He introduced 233 regarding healthcare reform, 125 on poverty and public assistance, 112 crime fighting bills, 97 economic bills, 60 human rights and anti-discrimination bills, 21 ethics reform bills, 15 gun control, 6 veterans affairs and many others, including:

• Welfare legislation
  • Created the Earned Income Tax Credit program that gave over $100 million in tax cuts for families throughout Illinois over 3 years.
  • Expanded early childhood education
  • Enlisted the support of law enforcement officials to draft legislation requiring the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases.
  • He passed a law to monitor racial profiling by requiring police to record the race of drivers they stopped. The law was at first very controversial, but due to Obama's skills as a negotiator and bipartisanships, he won the support of the police. During his 2004 general election campaign for U.S. Senate, he won the endorsement of the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police, whose president credited Obama for his active engagement with police organizations in enacting death penalty reforms.
  • Passed what has been quoted as the toughest campaign finance law in Illinois history. The legislation banned the personal use of campaign money by Illinois legislators and banned most gifts from lobbyists. Worked with U.S. Sen. Paul Simon (D-IL), 1988. Before the law was passed, one organization ranked Illinois worst among 50 states for its campaign finance regulations.
  • Created a working, affordable health care plan in Illinois, that covers 70,000 kids and 84,000 adults, where all kids qualify for $40 per child. Obama sponsored and passed this legislation, working with Rod R. Blagojevich(IL Gov.)

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »
And he "accidentally" voted the wrong way and then demanded that his vote be switched. 

I don't care if Barack was against the war from the beginning, we need someone who can handle the current situation.  Claiming to be against the war from day 1 does not mean that you will be able to competently manage the current war.  A lot of people were against the war.  The fact that he is the only potential presidential candidate against it does not mean that he has "superior judgmental skills" to negotiate us out of it.  He is lying when he says that he will have us out in 16 months (or whatever his time frame is).

He belongs to a church with a racist head pastor (not just a racist, but a disgusting low-life, lying, bigot).  This would have been an automatic disqualification for ANY other person running for office.  However, since, the only thing attracting to people is his charisma, this major red flag will be over looked (and because the media LOVES him-I bet he could call for the extermination of the white race and they would look the other way). 

Um...ok.

LOL

Sheesh. Why all the anger?  Gotta get a hold of that edge, man.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston