Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you really think Obama can deliver on his promises?  (Read 6628 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do you really think Obama can deliver on his promises?
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
I'm a conservative-leaning Independant.  I really want to know why so many people believe that Obama can deliver on his promises.  What if he reads intelligence after he becomes president that convinces him we shouldn't pull out of Iraq?  What will he do?
What if he crunches the numbers and realizes that the government shouldn't be in control of health care?  Will he still keep his promise?  At least Hillary has failed at trying to reform health care.  Obama hasn't ever been involved in a national corporation let alone a national health care system, where does he get off thinking he can lead the charge?

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
Re: Do you really think Obama can deliver on his promises?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »
So because Hillary is 0 for 1 and Obama is 0 for 0, that's a strike against Obama? George W. Bush was a Governor and the head of a Corporation and a baseball team and all that experience apparently taught him nothing. Donald Rumsfeld and male private part Cheney had decades of experience and have failed the American people miserably. It's judgment, not experience.

I don't necessarily believe he can deliver on what he says, I just think it's more likely he will than anyone else given his track record of judgment, intelligence, and success at what he does.

If he gets in office and decides we shouldn't pull out of Iraq, then maybe that's the right thing to do. Given that the President is put in charge of handling not only the issues we know about but the ones we can't predict, I want someone with the best judgment who I can trust the most when confronted with new issues.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:47:38 PM »
Obama is supposedly above it all, and I just don't buy it.  He's out there trying to get votes just like everyone else who runs for president.  The president can't really fix health care.  The president wouldn't even be able to make the post office as good as Fed Ex or UPS.  One of the best ways to improve the health care system is to improve the overall health of the citizens.  The health care system would probably improve significantly if we reduced the amount of people who were overweight or addicted to cigarettes. Do you want a president who tries to regulate fast food and make smoking illegal?

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:51:54 PM »
I would argue that Obama does have experience running a large corporation - his campaign.  I think its success speaks to both his ability to appeal to the public (an essential and somewhat underrated skill for the President) and his judgement in terms of management.  He chose a very innovative team of advisors and their strategies have paid off nicely.  He's also been willing to get rid of employees who are underperforming, something with which I think Hillary and President Bush have both struggled.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »
He is pandering. Badly. No he can't. It's a damn shame, too, because his rhetoric is pretty damn impressive.

The troops are staying in Iraq. Nafta is staying how it is. Healthcare will be a mess. The economy will continue to deteriorate. It will take more than hope to get us out of this mess, it will take sacrifice, and Obama's uplifting campaign skirts around the actual challenges that face our nation and our generation. 

Our roads and bridges are crumbling, our damaged cities are still in recovery after nearly a decade of mismanagement, the education system is in shambles, energy prices will continue to rise and the dollar will continue to fall so long as the rest of the world is outpacing us in technological, political and economic advancement.

Does anyone honestly believe that any candidate will withdraw from the middle east while oil prices are skyrocketing, and China, Russia and India are gobbling up more and more resources worldwide?

Does anyone honestly believe that universal healthcare is an option for this country when social security is on the brink of collapse, and we are in a three trillion dollar debt burden?

Does anyone honestly believe that a candidate can single-handedly get us out of the pending economic catastrophe, even though we face trade deficits, loss of jobs, and loss of trust in the financial system?

It's not comfortable to hear but the upcoming years will be very, very difficult for us all. Hope is great, but it'll take so much more than that to get this great country back on track.

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »
Obama is not saying "Hope alone will get us out of these problems." That's the nonsense his detractors are trying to imply. He is not an empty suit coasting just on rhetoric.

I don't know if he'll deliver on what he says, but he has a better chance to do so than Hillary Clinton or John McCain and that's all that matters since they're the only 3 left with a realistic chance at the presidency.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:29:49 PM »
Hope is great, but Freedom is the only thing that will save the country.
Taking away our privileges takes away our creativity and our ambition.  I believe that smoking is wrong, but I respect an adults right to choose.  This country is great because it provides opportunity for those people who are willing to take a chance.  Our economy will get stronger as long as the government allows the citizens to have a fair chance.  Our health care system will get better as young minds create technological solutions that are more affordable.
Obama is a fantastic man, but he thinks the government has a responsibility to take care of everyone.  I believe the government has the responsibility to make sure we have the chance to take care of ourselves and each other.

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »
A smoking ban is small potatoes compared to the Patriot Act and warrantless wiretaps....not that he's going to pass (or even try to pass) a smoking ban anyway.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »
Obama isn't for those things.  Earlier in the conversation I said that smoking and being overweight probably cause more problems than our health care system.  Obama wants to get the government involved in health care, and I just feel like personal choices such as the foods we eat and the activities we participate will be next.   Obama could reduce health care costs significantly by requiring citizens to lose weight, stop smoking and have regular physicals. So should he?  Are those things bad?  No, they aren't, but it shouldn't be up to the government.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »
FedEx and UPS have restrictions that stop them from mailing letters.  Do you seriously think that the post office is more efficient than FedEx and UPS?  Do you also think that public universities and public schools are better than private?