Law School Discussion

George Mason vs. Temple vs. Cardozo

George Mason vs. Temple vs. Cardozo
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:42:36 AM »
Hello all. I am a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I am having a difficult time trying to decide between these three options and I'm pretty sure my friends are getting really sick of me talking about it (constantly). So here's the deal..

George Mason - I am out of state and got no money here so it is the most expensive of the three options.

Temple - full tuition

Cardozo - a little more than half

For some background info.. I am interested in IP and/or International Law but not completely sold on either. Also, I'm not exactly sure what International Law includes but I'm interested in business, trade, and human rights (Random I know).  I am pretty set on doing the biglaw thang for two or three years but then would like to move on to smaller law firms and other areas of law that are more public interest or education oriented. I'm just including that tidbit because job prospects are important to me but overall education is a bigger deal in the end.  Also, I live in MD, grew up here, went to undergrad here, work in DC now.. so I'm very comfortable in the area but a change would also be nice.

Any thoughts, suggestions, information, opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: George Mason vs. Temple vs. Cardozo
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »
Just my opinion:  With those options I'd take Temple full ride.

I know GMU is ranked higher, and so is Cardozo, but the differences are (IMO) minor compared to the drastic difference in debt you would be faced with.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:26:59 AM »

I know GMU is ranked higher, and so is Cardozo, but the differences are (IMO) minor compared to the drastic difference in debt you would be faced with.

True.. Although GMU I can get instate tuition after the first year.. in which case it would be the same cost as cardozo, without the nyc living..   

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »

True.. Although GMU I can get instate tuition after the first year.. in which case it would be the same cost as cardozo, without the nyc living..   

They are all great schools, and all 3 have their advantages.  It's just that BigLaw is not necessarily a lock from any of them unless you are at the top of your class so it seems good to minimize debt/have more flexibility.

I know Cardozo is very well regarded in NYC and has a strong alumni network.  But for the Biglaw jobs I still feel like you probably need to be at least top 20%, maybe higher to be guaranteed.  They are also known for being good for IP (I work in an IP firm in NYC.)  Temple has the best placement in Philadelphia after Penn, but a lot of Penn grads go to NYC, etc. so really Temple is at the top of that market. I know less about GMU, I just know that they are well-ranked, so probably someone else can help you more with that.

I visited Temple a few weeks ago so if you have any questions about my visit let me know!

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 06:04:31 AM »

They are all great schools, and all 3 have their advantages.  It's just that BigLaw is not necessarily a lock from any of them unless you are at the top of your class so it seems good to minimize debt/have more flexibility.

I know Cardozo is very well regarded in NYC and has a strong alumni network.  But for the Biglaw jobs I still feel like you probably need to be at least top 20%, maybe higher to be guaranteed.  They are also known for being good for IP (I work in an IP firm in NYC.)  Temple has the best placement in Philadelphia after Penn, but a lot of Penn grads go to NYC, etc. so really Temple is at the top of that market. I know less about GMU, I just know that they are well-ranked, so probably someone else can help you more with that.

I visited Temple a few weeks ago so if you have any questions about my visit let me know!

That is certainly good to know about Cardozo! On the message boards its hard to tell if Cardozo has a real stand in NY or if its just always in Fordham's shadow..  I'm going to Cardozo's ASD on Tuesday and I'm sure it will be a huge PR blitz so it's good to hear solid info from someone working in an IP firm in nyc. Thanks!

I work in a firm in DC (not an IP firm, but I only do IP stuff), and GMU has a really great rep with IP in DC. But like you said, I would need to be in the top 20%. The only thing with Temple is that it is not quite as big in the IP arena as GMU and Cardozo. But then maybe it will be easier to be in the top 20% there than the other schools?? Or maybe not at all.... SIGH. :-/ I'm going in circles

Thank you for the input! I'm going to Temple's ASD 3/29 so maybe we can compare visit notes later :) Did you go for an informal visit or was it a Admitted Students type of event?

woeisme

• Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 06:45:17 AM »
Can you visit? If so, you should.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:18:25 AM »

I'm going to all three schools ASD's. The only thing is, those tend to be misrepresentations of the school but oh well! 

woeisme

• Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:22:39 AM »

I'm going to all three schools ASD's. The only thing is, those tend to be misrepresentations of the school but oh well! 

Perhaps. But it's better than not going. :)

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
FWIW, Temple also seems to have some programs and partnerships abroad that would be really beneficial if you're serious about international law.

http://www.law.temple.edu/servlet/RetrievePage?site=TempleLaw&page=Prospective_Study_Abroad

http://www.law.temple.edu/servlet/RetrievePage?site=TempleLaw&page=Graduate_International_Program

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »
the Temple ASD is definitely on the 29th?  I was accepted but haven't heard about ASD yet.