Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School  (Read 2671 times)

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Albany Law School
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
I just got a full scholarship and few extra to attend this school.
So, tempting!!!

That's hot.  ;D

Didn't you say you were having reservations about Cardozo though cause of the weather? Or was it just cause of NYC?

Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »
I'm currently a 1L at Albany and have this to say:

PRO:

1. Great professors, great career center
2. Tons of internship opportunities; good clinics; field placement, etc...
3. Well-respected in the region
4. For private, it's one of the lesser-priced law schools in NY, esp. considering the low COL
5. Decent town

CON:

1. Like most T3, be in the top 10 to 20% for prestigious (read: ADA or clerkship) or high-paying gigs, or gigs in NYC.
2. Tuition goes up a bit every year (like most schools, I suppose)
3. B- to C+ curve first year (this is ROUGH)

That being said, the leaps and bounds this school has made in the past several years is amazing.  It's 75% LSAT several years ago is now its 25% LSAT.  That's akin to moving mountains.  The office of enrollment feels that in terms of what the school offers, it's actually a better school than some of its NYC competitors, but that its location holds it back rank wise. It's on the verge of T2, I think.

Hope this helps.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
Well, the weather and the fact that NYC is so different from the place I live now.
But, what I'm choosing Cardozo over Albany b/c of location, rankings, job oppurtunites and the other typical reasons.

Patrick33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »

PRO:

4. For private, it's one of the lesser-priced law schools in NY, esp. considering the low COL
5. Decent town

CON:

1. Like most T3, be in the top 10 to 20% for prestigious (read: ADA or clerkship) or high-paying gigs, or gigs in NYC.

That being said, the leaps and bounds this school has made in the past several years is amazing.  It's 75% LSAT several years ago is now its 25% LSAT.  That's akin to moving mountains.  The office of enrollment feels that in terms of what the school offers, it's actually a better school than some of its NYC competitors, but that its location holds it back rank wise. It's on the verge of T2, I think.

Hope this helps.

I'm trying to understand how curves work, and I just visited ALS this week, and my tour guide said that it had a B- C+ curve as well... What does this mean?  Is this like a bell curve where the majority get C+s and B-s and the rest taper off on both sides?

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »

PRO:

5. Decent town

CON:

Hope this helps.

I'm trying to understand how curves work, and I just visited ALS this week, and my tour guide said that it had a B- C+ curve as well... What does this mean?  Is this like a bell curve where the majority get C+s and B-s and the rest taper off on both sides?

Exactly.  The curve is less harsh in your 2L & 3L year.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 12:51:17 AM »
How does Albany compare to Pace and NYLS?  Basically the same??

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »
How does Albany compare to Pace and NYLS?  Basically the same??

Well I've never visited either one nor do I know anyone from those schools, so I really can't compare.  From what I understand Pace has an excellent Environmental Law Program.

I imagine that your opportunities for internships/jobs etc are better here because of its location in NY's capitol.  You also don't have the competition that students from NYC schools have to deal with.  If all you're concerned about is rank (and you should not be) they're the same.  But I'm very happy here.  The school has an impressive alumni list; two SCOTUS Justices, President McKinley, many NY State judges/politicians.  The current US Atty for the Southern District of NY is Albany. A higher % of District Attorneys in NY are from ALbany Law than any other school.

But remember, it's all what you make of it. 

BriGuy1818

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
so regarding a C+, B- curve.  Most of the students get C+ and B-'s the first year so they curve them to A- and A's?  And this would make the 2nd and 3rd year harder?  Am I wrong? Can someone explain the curve a little more thoroughly?  thanks

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »
so regarding a C+, B- curve.  Most of the students get C+ and B-'s the first year so they curve them to A- and A's?  And this would make the 2nd and 3rd year harder?  Am I wrong? Can someone explain the curve a little more thoroughly?  thanks

No, it means that most students get a C+/B- as their final grade.  Some exceptional students get As, some truely aweful ones might get Fs, but the median is always C+/B-.  The tough thing is, if all the exams (or most all) are of the same quality, the profs still have to sort everyone out and come up with grades averaging C+/B-.  The purpose of it is to rank everyone, so that the top students stand out.  From what I hear, this doesn't happen much at T14 schools, but is rampant lower down in the food chain.

Edit:  I realize there's some abiguity as to whether the curve makes for a median or average grade of C+/B- or whatever it is at a given school.  I've head alot of people say its the average, but I was at a recent ASD at another school and asked about curves (which stunned and embarrassed the Dean and Profs on the panel) and they kept saying "median" not mean.  But this could be different at dif. schools.