Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School  (Read 2755 times)

BriGuy1818

• View Profile
    • Email
Albany Law School
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »
I was recently accepted at Albany Law School and would like to here what everyone thinks about the school when compared to schools of its caliber in its vicinity.  If you have been to the town, or have visited the school please give me some feedback. All responses are appreciated.

Brian

lgllgl2atty

• View Profile
Re: Albany Law School
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
I'm very close to someone graduating from Albany this year.  She is from that area, but now lives in AZ.  She is doing her third year at AZ, but said that she didn't see that there was any difference in quality and that the difference was in class size (AZ is bigger).  My husband is from Albany, so I'm there quite a lot--it's only 3 and 1/2 hours from Boston.  It's upstate New York so it obviously gets a long winter.  It's got a decent town center and lots of suburban towns around it.  It's often collectively referred to as "the Capital region."  I think it's a great place, with several universities so plenty of night life if you're looking for that, and lots of different kinds of people.  Its school is well-respected in that area.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »
A good friend of mine recently got his JD at Albany.  He seems to have had a great experience (LR, top 10%, all those little markers of law school success) and is reasonably happy with his Albany small firm job.  Another close friend started there and dropped out after the first semester (despite being 5th in her class!) because she hated it so much -- however, that was a decade ago and she wasn't necessarily in law school for the right reasons. 

Anyway, I love love love Albany (the town; I don't have a ton of experience with the school) and will be happy to chime in if you have specific questions about living there.  I moved away (*gulp*) almost six years ago, but was there for college and stayed for another 4-5 years after graduating.   

I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

BriGuy1818

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »
A good friend of mine recently got his JD at Albany.  He seems to have had a great experience (LR, top 10%, all those little markers of law school success) and is reasonably happy with his Albany small firm job.  Another close friend started there and dropped out after the first semester (despite being 5th in her class!) because she hated it so much -- however, that was a decade ago and she wasn't necessarily in law school for the right reasons. 

Anyway, I love love love Albany (the town; I don't have a ton of experience with the school) and will be happy to chime in if you have specific questions about living there.  I moved away (*gulp*) almost six years ago, but was there for college and stayed for another 4-5 years after graduating.   

Any particular reason your friend hated it so much? Has anyone had success with the job market in NYC or NJ after graduating Albany? 

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »

Any particular reason your friend hated it so much? Has anyone had success with the job market in NYC or NJ after graduating Albany? 

Yeah, but like I said - I don't know how apropos her reasons would be.  She was 19, law school wasn't really her dream...she hated the people, mostly. 

I can't speak to the NYC job market from Albany with any grounding in fact.  My intuition is that it's possible for the tippy-top, but pretty tough for the bulk of the class.  But again, I'm pulling that out of my bum. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »
I just got a full scholarship and few extra to attend this school.
So, tempting!!!

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »
I just got a full scholarship and few extra to attend this school.
So, tempting!!!

Congrats!!

And I feel ya on the temptation man.  They didn't give me a full ride, but they did come pretty close.  I'm more interested in CT, but boy is the big offer tempting...

One of my father's friends went there too, and ended up a name partner in one of upstate NY's bigger firms.  I *&^% you not, he's actually rich enough that he just bought himself a private jet!!    Obviously he's the exception, but damn!

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:50:46 AM »
I know two Albany grads. One teaches the LSAT full time. The other failed the bar and works in finance. It seems that some own private jets and others, um, don't. Purely anecdotal.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
I know two Albany grads. One teaches the LSAT full time. The other failed the bar and works in finance. It seems that some own private jets and others, um, don't. Purely anecdotal.

Lol, yup!  That sounds about right.   ;)

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
Albany Law is beautiful
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.