Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crowd-Phobic in NYC?  (Read 1099 times)

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Crowd-Phobic in NYC?
« on: March 11, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »
I'm trying to imagine myself (and 2 cats, a parrot and boyfriend) living in NYC (likely in Brooklyn)--and also planning our visit--and I realize I have no sense for how busy (or not) the place is.

I went there once when I was 13 and all I remember is that FAO Schwartz was insane in late November...it was Furby season.

So NYC inhabitants--how much do crowds and lines play a role in your everyday life?
  :D
CLS 2011

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
Re: Crowd-Phobic in NYC?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:27:33 AM »
I lived in the city for a summer, and the only lines you encounter are in line for like, the TKTS booth.  Where do you think you're going to run into lines and big crowds that affect your daily habits?   There's people waiting for the subways, but you can almost always get onto a train.  Other than that...lines at Starbucks maybe?  Lines at pizza places?  Nothing like you wouldnt encounter anywhere...
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:09:31 AM »
I'm trying to imagine myself (and 2 cats, a parrot and boyfriend) living in NYC (likely in Brooklyn)--and also planning our visit--and I realize I have no sense for how busy (or not) the place is.

I went there once when I was 13 and all I remember is that FAO Schwartz was insane in late November...it was Furby season.

So NYC inhabitants--how much do crowds and lines play a role in your everyday life?
  :D
Stay away from Times Square at all times and Port Authority, Penn Station, and Grand Central during rush hours and you will avoid contracting a bad case of crowd-phobia  :)

Oh and also, speaking of lines, make valentines day reservations early, really really early if you plan on going out to eat
W&L '11

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:50:34 AM »
I lived in the city for a summer, and the only lines you encounter are in line for like, the TKTS booth.  Where do you think you're going to run into lines and big crowds that affect your daily habits?   There's people waiting for the subways, but you can almost always get onto a train.  Other than that...lines at Starbucks maybe?  Lines at pizza places?  Nothing like you wouldnt encounter anywhere...

Thanks to a pm, I've learned that one can adapt to all the people really quickly and it's not a bother when you're used to it.

My childhood town had 5000 people, and where I live now people start grumbling when a line is more than 3 people long...it's just not something we normally deal with.

This is mostly for my boyfriend--I'm occasionally annoyed by people in my way, but crowds seriously stress him out.

So, maybe a better question is: Where should crowd-phobic people go (and avoid going) in NYC so that they can get a more livable impression of the city?
CLS 2011

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
It's not for everyone. It's for me and I'll miss it dearly. My SO moved here from baltimore last year and it was definitely an adjustment of pace. He moved to Brooklyn to soften to the blow. More space, slower living, cheaper, close to a park. PM me if you want info.

I used to work in Times Square. Haven't been there since I switched jobs, it's totally avoidable. I can't say lines play a part in my everyday life. or maybe, I'm just used to it. My subway is slammed on my morning commute and that's the only time I really get frustrated.

Also, I see you're in at NYU and pending at Columbia. Living in Brooklyn at going to NYU is a great option. I'm sure there's a Columbia thread on this but Brooklyn to Columbia is prob not ideal.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »
As a daily rider of the 7 from Queens plaza to flushing, I can assure you that crowds of coughing people, who spit argue and get into fights are a large part of my life

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29:38 AM »
I haven't spent a large amount of time in new york, but I definitely remember feeling really uncomfortable in manhattan. definitely more claustrophobia than agoraphobia though. except for manhattan though, i thought new york was much more enjoyable and livable than someplace like dc. finding parking can be a major problem. it's definitely not a place designed for cars.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
I haven't spent a large amount of time in new york, but I definitely remember feeling really uncomfortable in manhattan. definitely more claustrophobia than agoraphobia though. except for manhattan though, i thought new york was much more enjoyable and livable than someplace like dc. finding parking can be a major problem. it's definitely not a place designed for cars.
It's not designed for cars and you don't need one. I've managed for 4 years in the city without one. I take the railroad to the beach, amtrak to DC to see friends, the subway most everywhere else (a cab when I'm lazy). One thing I will recommend to those of you moving here and nervous to not have a car: zipcar. You sign up for a membership and can reserve cars at different locations and prices per hour. They're great for a  day hiking trip or trip to the suburbs and for stock up at target, whatever. A car when you need it, and not the pain or expense when you don't.

(I don't work for zip car or anything. that was awful sales-y.)

OlderandWiser

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not creepy, it's kittens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »
NYC is great, best city in the world.  But it is definitely a love/hate relationship for most people. Visit if you can (or haven't already). I've been here going on 7 years and have really loved it. I'm leaving for law school and will definitely miss it.

I think most of the posts here get it right.  There is some craziness here and there, in the subways in particular, but for the most part the crowds and things aren't too bad.   There are ways to get away from it.  Choosing to live in Brooklyn or Queens is a great way to slow things down and space things out.  I tend to have a bit of the crowd phobia myself, but I have found ways to adjust.  And most of the time I don't even notice anymore.  Besides, the upsides of the city are well worth it, things like central park in the summer, all the amazing food, the fab social scene, art, music, anything you want really.  They're just great and make dealing with the occassional line or crowded subway car worth it. 
University of Washington 2011

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
Olderand wiser - Have you started making your 'Things to do before I leave NYC' list yet? It's a really long, sad list but I'm afraid I'll missing things if I don't.

Also, your avatar has creeped me out for quite some time. I thought I would share that.