Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Should you really be a lawyer?"  (Read 447 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"Should you really be a lawyer?"
« on: March 11, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »
I read "Should you really be a lawyer?"  by Deborah Schneider and it didn't really help me at all.  I feel like it should be called "You shouldn't be a lawyer, unless you're crazy, or you've worked for a law-firm before"
I already work with contracts all day, and I have to deal with three-foot-tall stacks of paperwork, so I know I can handle that.
I don't really care to hear "what makes a good lawyer" but please give me your comments on this question: What kind of person likes being a lawyer?

Blondie918

• View Profile
Re: "Should you really be a lawyer?"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
I work at a law firm and from what I've observed you need a have a thick skin and put up with comments that might not be what you like from others, you need to manage yourself well under stress as you may have multiple cases "heating up" at the same time, you also need to be patient with those you work with, and you need to be organized.  Being a lawyer from what I have witnessed is not just making the money and billing the hours, its also giving up a lot and working well into the night.  You have to have communication skills to speak with clients and you have to be able to stand by any decision you make.

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
Re: "Should you really be a lawyer?"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
I don't really care to hear "what makes a good lawyer" but please give me your comments on this question: What kind of person likes being a lawyer?

I work at a big firm as well. From what I've seen, the people who enjoy their jobs as attorneys the most are the ones who revel in the challenge of getting things done creatively and efficiently- better than the other guy can do it. Almost any practice area is going to include adverse counsel (except maybe estate planning) who are just as qualified or more qualified than you are.

If you're competitive, enjoy reading and writing (a lot!), don't mind committing your life to your job (at least until you make partner), enjoy handing people their asses on a platter and appreciate the lesson you've learned after you've been handed your own ass, you'll probably like being a lawyer.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards