Law School Discussion

4.21/151/Fulbright Scholar x 2 Chances at UVA?

Re: 4.21/151/Fulbright Scholar x 2 Chances at UVA?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 08:57:43 AM »
Oh, and just to make one more point, the Detroit Tigers (and NOT the BoSox) will win the World Series this year.

HTH

Hey I was born in Michigan - I have nothing against the Tigers.  My Mom's side of the fam are Tigers fans.  They are overdue. 

That being said I would never root against the Sox.  ;)

Well, it's good to know that you won't take it TOO hard, then, when the Tigers win it all.  If they fall short, it will be because of 1.) Their awful bullpen or 2.)Injuries.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Are you like that dude on Fever Pitch (not that I watched it ::)?

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 09:01:13 AM »
Oh, and just to make one more point, the Detroit Tigers (and NOT the BoSox) will win the World Series this year.

HTH

Hey I was born in Michigan - I have nothing against the Tigers.  My Mom's side of the fam are Tigers fans.  They are overdue. 

That being said I would never root against the Sox.  ;)

Well, it's good to know that you won't take it TOO hard, then, when the Tigers win it all.  If they fall short, it will be because of 1.) Their awful bullpen or 2.)Injuries.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Are you like that dude on Fever Pitch (not that I watched it ::)?

LOL no I'm not.  I just heart fenway.  I actually put the avatar up because some Yanks fans were giving me a hard time so I had to show *the pride*

Nice...the Yankees suck.

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 09:01:54 AM »
despite my PM - these people are right.  Even if you hit a 160 you might have a chance at Yale or Harvard I would say.

If I go to a Tier 2-3 I can still transfer right? This sucks:(

Why transfer when you have a shot of T14 with a better LSAT?  Why not wait a year, work, make some money, save, get some life experience for the ole' file, retake the LSAT, and get into the quality of school that will open some real doors for you?

The fact that you aren't doing this makes me almost angry, and it's not even my life that's effected by it!

Well, I don't really want to take a year off, since this isn't really my plan. If I really want to, I'd probably take another Fulbright, but I don't think it's possible since even two is extremely rare.

If you are not a flame, your lack of research and preparation is appaling. Transferring from a Tier 2-3 to a T14 is hard, espicially if you don't have the grades 1L, which is likely in your case because you don't seem like a big fan of actually preparing for things.

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 10:32:52 AM »
I truly think that this individual has the potential to still get into UVA despite the low LSAT score. I agree that the soft factors of URM and FS will be enough to get in, who cares if the individual drags down the median LSAT by 1 or 2 points? It's not really going to affect the usnews ratings that much.

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »
I truly think that this individual has the potential to still get into UVA despite the low LSAT score. I agree that the soft factors of URM and FS will be enough to get in, who cares if the individual drags down the median LSAT by 1 or 2 points? It's not really going to affect the usnews ratings that much.

This thread becomes stranger as it progresses.

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »

WTF??  Are you serious???  UVa is on record as saying that with their new dean, they hope to become a T5 law school in the next few years.  This will NOT happen if they take candidates with an LSAT of 151 despite URM, FS, etc.  URM will bump an LSAT by probably 5 points or so, making a 161-ish the minimun the OP would need to be considered (Note, this is 10 points higher than his current).  Also, FS, while a good soft factor, is just that:  a SOFT factor.  It will PERHAPS add another 1-2 points onto an already competitive LSAT, meaning that the OP MAY be able to get away with a 160.

If he is a VA resident, that makes it just a BIT easier.

At the minimum then, I think that the OP would need to raise his LSAT score to 160 AT LEAST to have anything greater than a ZERO percent chance of admission.

After you take into account that UVa wants to CLIMB the rankings to T5 (Read: CCN level), they will NOT be wanting to take a score even THAT low, regardless of URM and FS.

Rant over.

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
Wowzers. OP, if you're not yanking our collective chain, I'd suggest taking another year off and doing this right. You'll still fit right in age-wise. And you'll want to apply significantly earlier next time around--this September or October.

For basic info about the process, I'd suggest reading Law School Confidential. I had no idea about any of this stuff when I was getting started, and it was very helpful to contextualize the whole process.

You're also going to need to retake the LSAT if you're seriously interested in a UVA-caliber school, let alone higher-ranked than that.

So go work on your book or whatever. But I'd take the year off, and then apply again in September.

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »
Do you realize that the OP could single-handedly bring UVA's entering class mean LSAT down by  a point or two, while doing nothing too significant in terms of its GPA?  Then again, I think median is used a lot of times when reporting those numbers.

You are very bad at math.

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »
Wowzers. OP, if you're not yanking our collective chain, I'd suggest taking another year off and doing this right. You'll still fit right in age-wise. And you'll want to apply significantly earlier next time around--this September or October.

For basic info about the process, I'd suggest reading Law School Confidential. I had no idea about any of this stuff when I was getting started, and it was very helpful to contextualize the whole process.

You're also going to need to retake the LSAT if you're seriously interested in a UVA-caliber school, let alone higher-ranked than that.

So go work on your book or whatever. But I'd take the year off, and then apply again in September.

TITCR.

I can't believe there is even a debate about this (a five page debate, at that). Clearly, the OP is intelligent enough to do better, w/ prep. Clearly, w/ a higher score, s/he'd have an incredibly impressive app.

Retake the frickin' test.

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
I'm on the OP is yanking our chain bandwagon.

Factor the improbability of winning two Fullbrihts
The seemingly impossible LSDAS GPA of a 4.21 as so few schools even award A+'s
This seemingly brilliant person being naive about the entire law school process
This seemingly brilliant person scoring the EXACT average LSAT
Then posting all of this as his FIRST post on a law school message board.

In the interest of fairness, if you are serious, then I agree with the overwhelming majority that you would be insane about not taking a year off an re-applying.  For the record, however, I don't think this is a real situation.