Law School Discussion

4.21/151/Fulbright Scholar x 2 Chances at UVA?

Re: 4.21/151/Fulbright Scholar x 2 Chances at UVA?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 08:23:41 AM »
This is a straight troll. I'm sorry.

The probability of someone winning two fullbrights
The probability of even getting a 4.21 LSDAS GPA
The probability of this person scoring the average LSAT

is so minuscule in and of itself.  Now add to the fact that this person is completely naive about the law school process, applied in late January and doesn't want to take a year off to retake.

Come on now.

It's kind of like that segment on (I believe) Sesame Street:  Which one doesn't belong?  Sure, there may be some people who achieve a 4.21 GPA and win two fulbrights, but none of these people are idiotic mediocre enough to get a 151 on the LSAT.

-----

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 08:25:14 AM »
Why is someone who gets a 151 on the LSAT not smart?! 

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 08:26:43 AM »
LOL sometimes that happens to me because the site screws up.  Sometimes I notice and delete the repeats, sometimes I don't.

Yeah, it happened to me once, too.  The funniest thing is that you always notice that in the original post, it's always phrased differently.  Then the next three are always slightly altered.  Once people think the first one didn't post, they always want to change something.

By the way, are you ALWAYS on here? ;)

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 08:27:39 AM »
Why is someone who gets a 151 on the LSAT not smart?! 

Fixed.

-----

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
Why are they mediocre?  I mean, some people do not test well after months of studying.  This could even be a fulbright scholar who knows.

Now if the person did not even TRY to get a higher score that would be something else.  But some people are just not able to test out of that range no matter how much they study.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 08:38:35 AM »
Why are they mediocre?  I mean, some people do not test well after months of studying.  This could even be a fulbright scholar who knows.

Now if the person did not even TRY to get a higher score that would be something else.  But some people are just not able to test out of that range no matter how much they study.

They are mediocre in the sense that they achieve precisely the median score on the LSAT.  Look, I was just sort of joking when I said "idiotic" with redards to those who score 151.  I know that's not the case.

Here's my thought process, though:

Fulbright scholars are extremely intelligent.
Extrememly intelligent people do very well on standardized tests.
The LSAT is a standardized test.
.: Fulbright scholars will do very well on the LSAT.

Furthermore, 151 (the exact average) would not be considered a very good score.

-----

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
I guess yeah that's TENDS to be the case, but not always.

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »
I guess yeah that's TENDS to be the case, but not always.

Well, let's face it:  There are, undoubtedly, smart people (maybe even very smart) who achieve only an average LSAT score.  However, Fulbright scholars (especially two-time winners) and people who achieve above a 4.0 GPA are more than just smart.  They are basically the MOST intelligent students in the nation.  I would think that, regardless of their majors, they would do well enough on at least certain parts of the LSAT to score better than 151.  I'm sure there may be the OCCASIONAL exception, though I can't really imagine it.

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 08:48:37 AM »
Oh, and just to make one more point, the Detroit Tigers (and NOT the BoSox) will win the World Series this year.

HTH

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »
OP is clearly very intelligent, but he or she did say that he or she took the LSAT without preparing for it and had just went back to the US to take the test before returning abroad. 

This is the reason I believe that OP should retake.  Lack of preparation is most likely reason that the OP has a LSAT score that is incommensurate with OP's GPA and other achievements. 

A higher score that is more consistent with his or her other achievements will probably look much more solid to any Adcomm, but the soft factors may be enough for UVA's Adcomms anyways.  It's hard to predict, especially given the fact that OP applied in January.

I HIGHLY doubt that UVA would even look at the OP's file once they see the LSAT score.  Do you realize that the OP could single-handedly bring UVA's entering class mean LSAT down by  a point or two, while doing nothing too significant in terms of its GPA?  Then again, I think median is used a lot of times when reporting those numbers.