Law School Discussion

Re: ARIZONA STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »
agreed. ASU seems to like messing with our heads.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 01:58:34 AM »
ASU v. USD
I don't know much about USD. I am from Arizona and attended UA for undergrad and know both law schools pretty well. At ASU you ave total and complete access to the fifth largest city in the nation and one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. Unlike other large cities, Phoenix has only one law school and that is ASU. If you plan on staying Southwest or West Coast, ASU is a good law school. Also the student to faculty ratio is one of the lowest in the nation. The faculty at ASU are very accessible, and the career center people go the extra mile to support the students in their search for summer work/internships and future jobs. Tempe is a great city as well. Also it is much cheaper to attend ASU, and the cost of living is waaaaay lower than San Diego (besides you always have the option of making a trip to San Diego- not a long drive from Phoenix).

Though I don't know why no one here didn't apply to UA as well. I think UA law school is much better than the ASU law school, for various reasons. But since this is a discussion of ASU law school, then I'll let it remain that.

The link for admitted students doesn't seem to be working. And I know a number of people who are still waiting to hear from ASU. I heard from ASU back in February.

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
I think that's right regarding residency. I think I may have read something at some point that suggested you may have to state willingness to remain in the state post graduation, but I'm not sure. I was classified as a state resident based on the fact that I've lived in the state for at least a calendar year.

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »
UA is in Tucson.  I've been there and it is kind of boring.  My wife is in PR and Phoenix/Tempe would provide many more employment opportunities. 

I was ASU's website looking up the requirements for gaining residency.  It looks like you basically have to be living their for a year.  Is that about right or is there something more I need to know/do?

You would want to talk to the school to make sure you took the proper steps.  Registering your car in Arizona, obtaining an Arizona driver's license, and filing your taxes in Arizona are all items that were suggested to me by someone at UofA.

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 03:59:40 PM »
Tucson is not boring. I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and lived in Tucson for undergraduate. Phoenix is everything that is wrong with lack of urban planning (major urban sprawl). Tucson is a smaller city. If you enjoy the outdoors, Tucson is a great place to be. Many international cyclists train in Tucson (Lance Armstrong did in the past). There are great opportunities for outdoor adventures. Anyway I would choose UA over ASU any day.

As for Arizona residency, DO NOT think it is easy to gain residency. From what I heard at the ASD, gaining residency is difficult (though quite possible). Whereas California schools basically offer instate tuition as a scholarship, Arizona is not so lenient. Intent plays a huge role.

Definitely check out the website and speak to the admissions staff. http://az.gov/webapp/portal/displaycontent.jsp?id=1443

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
I do have my car registered in Arizona and filed Arizona income taxes last year - that certainly helped confirm my residency. The ASU application asked for my license plate number.

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »
Concerning establishing residency, this link from the Board of Regents web site might be helpful: http://www.abor.asu.edu/1_the_regents/reports_factbook/residency.html#Establish%20Arizona%20residency

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »