Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMiami vs. Temple vs. Penn State-- your opinion appreciated!  (Read 808 times)

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
UMiami vs. Temple vs. Penn State-- your opinion appreciated!
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
I've gotten into these three schools and would like your opinion on which to go for.
Fortunately money is not an issue for schooling however I am most concerned with (as most people are) my career opportunities and starting salary coming out of whatever school I go to.

According to USNews:
     Miami      Rank 70     93.1 Employment     (60,000 - 110,000) 82,000 Median Starting Salary
     Temple    Rank 60     95.7 Employment     (50,000 - 115,000) 80,000 Median Starting Salary
     Penn         Rank 91     92.2 Employment     (46,500 - 100,000) 61,250 Median Starting Salary

Does anyone have anything to add to these numbers?  How trustworthy are these numbers? 
If starting salary is my largest concern, should I choose Miami Law?

I'm a Korean-Canadian student and don't really know the markets in PA and Miami and what it's like to live there so if anyone can help me clear things up that would also be great. 

Thanks!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UMiami vs. Temple vs. Penn State-- your opinion appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »
I've gotten into these three schools and would like your opinion on which to go for.
Fortunately money is not an issue for schooling however I am most concerned with (as most people are) my career opportunities and starting salary coming out of whatever school I go to.

According to USNews:
     Miami      Rank 70     93.1 Employment     (60,000 - 110,000) 82,000 Median Starting Salary
     Temple    Rank 60     95.7 Employment     (50,000 - 115,000) 80,000 Median Starting Salary
     Penn         Rank 91     92.2 Employment     (46,500 - 100,000) 61,250 Median Starting Salary

Does anyone have anything to add to these numbers?  How trustworthy are these numbers? 
If starting salary is my largest concern, should I choose Miami Law?

I'm a Korean-Canadian student and don't really know the markets in PA and Miami and what it's like to live there so if anyone can help me clear things up that would also be great. 

Thanks!

Ah, it's good to see someone else that has similar schools from which to choose. (I am also considering these three!)

A lot of this depends on where you would like to live upon graduation, if money is not really a factor for you. 

If you like a more suburban/rural area, PSU is the best choice.  Both campuses are in very rural settings, so the average salary is misleading (as the cost-of-living is much lower than a bigger city like Philly or Miami).  However, you will most likely be stuck in the central PA area unless you place very high in your class.

Temple is in a rough neighborhood, but it places very well in Philly, and decently in south-central PA. ( hail from that area.)  Keep in mind the higher cost-of-living in Philly, though.

Pennsylvania has a humid continental climate.  Summers are hot and humid, while winters are cold and snowy. 

Miami does well in South Florida, and does better than many would expect in other markets (although I'm not saying it's fantastic).  It also has nice, hot weather as its norm.  Keep in mind the COL, again.

Law Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »
Couple things...

DO NOT LOOK AT STARTING SALARY FIGURES.  They are reported in an obnoxiously biased fashion.  In some instances, schools can only report far less than half of their class' starting salary.

Of your options, I like Miami.  Along with the huge city opportunity, Miami has one huge advantage.  In order to get to a better law school, one would have to drive 6 hours to UF.  Miami covers a larger area in this regard than any other 2nd tier school.  Also, Miami far surpasses its ranking in large law firms throughout the country as confirmed by basic research of firms.  The degree seems to be somewhat portable for a 2nd tier.  Lastly, Miami seems to be concerned with improving their ranking.  Miami's website indicates in its "fast facts" that in this cycle, the student body will be REDUCED by up to 70 students compared to 2007.

I would surely ask myself where I want to practice because Miami and those northern cities are polar opposites.  

Good Luck  

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:39:08 AM »
How are miami and northern cities polar opposites?  can you clarify?
As an international student I just assume all of America is basically the same-- as ignorant as that may sound, if you could clear some facts up for me that would be great!

Law Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:52:30 AM »
I was referring to weather and, more importantly, culture.  I wouldn't expect to find a RadioShack in Pennsylvania staffed w/ only Spanish speakers.  Also, a previous post eluded to the rural settings up north.  Miami and Coral Gables are not rural by a long shot.  I recommend you visit Miami before you even CONSIDER UM.  Miami is not for everyone, but it is my frontrunner for your choices based solely on the school.

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 02:20:55 AM »
It'll be pretty difficult for me to visit Miami since I'm all the way in Toronto, Canada--  but I do understand your point. 
I like the city atmosphere since I've lived in Toronto all my life which is the NYC of Canada. 

Do you know the ethnic makeup of miami?  I know ZERO spanish-- will it hurt me when looking to get into biglaw?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:36:41 AM »
I was referring to weather and, more importantly, culture.

You are right about the culture being MUCH different. 

(I live in south-central PA.)

I wouldn't expect to find a RadioShack in Pennsylvania staffed w/ only Spanish speakers.

This...actually is only partially true.  The Hispanic population is large (although not as large as Miami's), depending on the specific location one is at.  (This area is farm country, and there are many migrant workers.)

Also, a previous post eluded to the rural settings up north.  Miami and Coral Gables are not rural by a long shot.  I recommend you visit Miami before you even CONSIDER UM.  Miami is not for everyone, but it is my frontrunner for your choices based solely on the school.

I see you (meaning the OP) don't know the weather in the U.S.  It's vastly different depending on where you live.

In PA, it's very cold in the winter, with a decent amount of snow.  It's cold for 5 months or so. 

The spring is fairly short-lived, with a lot of rain.  The summers are hot and humid, normally in the 80s and low-90s.

Miami is hot year round compared to PA.  It is also a big city, like Philly.

Even though it would be difficult, in your case I would DEFINITELY visit each school.  These schools will most likely determine where you will be living for a long time, and they all have vastly different cultures. 

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
UnbiasedObserver- Then what's the culture of PA like?  I don't mind the snow and cold as I'm from Canada and so i'm used to ridiculously long winters but at the same time wouldn't mind a change to year-round summers-- 

Cosmo- No, I'm not sure where I'd like to practice, all I know is that it's not in Canada.  I'm really more worried about job opportunities once I'm out.  Do you think being Asian will have any affect on my job prospects?

Does anyone know if not knowing Spanish will hurt me when looking for a job?  Especially in Miami-- I am fluently trilingual (English, Korean, French)

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
Will picking temple limit my job prospects to just philly how bout if I pick penn state?  I'm interested in biglaw (big money) so I'm most keen to go wherever the opportunity to get into that would be greater.

If I pick Miami will I have a good shot at getting into biglaw? 

I'm not too worried about WHERE i want to practice since no matter where I go in the States I won't know anyone anyways and i usually find a way to make the best of my situations.  Like I said before I'm more concerned about where I can get more opportunities.  Opinions?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »
I think you're best off visiting schools and see what area you like better

Agreed.  He needs to visit.