Law School Discussion

All about TRANSFERRING! (after 1L year)

Re: All about TRANSFERRING! (after 1L year)
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
From what I have read, LLM in anything other than tax appears more as a resume padding device and usually will not confer the same opportunities/prestige as a JD from a top institution. 

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »
From what I have read, LLM in anything other than tax appears more as a resume padding device and usually will not confer the same opportunities/prestige as a JD from a top institution. 

Isn't it good if you want to go into academia though?

It might be, I don't know, I just remember reading a discussion on the topic a few months ago.  The SJD seems to be what you would want to pursue for academia, I would think.

UNAS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

I would have to disagree. I am sure that there is a paucity of hr directors at firms who look at an LLM as resume padding. The overwhelming majority probably welcome it. Additionally, the career office probably has a separate department within it to actively seek employers who don't display such a funky attitude towards llm's

just my opinion

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »

I would have to disagree. I am sure that there is a paucity of hr directors at firms who look at an LLM as resume padding. The overwhelming majority probably welcome it. Additionally, the career office probably has a separate department within it to actively seek employers who don't display such a funky attitude towards llm's

just my opinion

I don't see how extra education would appear BAD

I don't think it would look bad, but it seems that its value, in terms of prestige and job opportunities, can be overstated. 

A LLM will no doubt help with finding a job in a particular field.  However, I know that some people think they can go to a less respected school and if they do well, then go to a top school for a LLM and expect to be regarded in a fashion similar to those who received their JD from the top school.  From what I have read, this does not seem to be true.

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »
this thread is lame now.

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2008, 10:15:09 PM »
From dead to lame is an improvement!

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2008, 11:20:13 PM »

just my opinion

I don't see how extra education would appear BAD

I'm just speculating, but perhaps some employers would see it as an indicator that a person was afraid of working and so was trying to stay in school as long as possible.  This probably wouldn't be a concern for people who took some time off between undergraduate and law school.