Law School Discussion

All about TRANSFERRING! (after 1L year)

Re: All about TRANSFERRING! (after 1L year)
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »
Yeah, well I think you are going to run across people who don't like certain schools everywhere.  We're kind of talking about vast generalizations.  I know in my hometown (which is a huge legal market) attorney's I've talked to like GUlC grads more than almost anybody else and don't have a lot of respect for NYU grads.  Now even still that is a pretty small representation of attorney's and only from about 3 or 4 different firms in town.

Just take everything with a grain of salt.  One person's firm might not like GULC and another firm does.  If you have a pick between multiple schools of top notch caliber figure out where their hiring from and who is making partner.  While that definitely isn't a perfect science it definitely is better than just flat out guessing.  In the end, if you go to a t14 school or even a top 25 for the most part and do well you are going to be fine, at least for the short term, and if you enjoy the law probably for the long term as well.  The moral of the story is once you leave law school discussion land the difference between top law schools isn't great. Sure Harvard and Yale are special but outside of that I think a lot of it comes down to what Dischord mentioned.  It's attorney's personal preference as to who they want to work with.

Adding a little to my comment about believing that you are going to do well.  I think this is one of the most important factors as to why I am doing well in law school.  I didn't go to law school expecting or believing that middle of the pack was where I wanted to be.  I knew that everybody there (by and large) is smart enough to do well.  It comes down to work ethic.  Believe that you have what it takes to put in that extra effort, never get behind in your studies, and that you belong at the top.  I am a true believer that will take you very far in law school.  That was the advice I was given and it has worked for me.  Having that hard working mentality will also get you pretty far in the legal profession.  It amazes me how many slackers there are not just in law school but in the legal profession as well.  Anyways that is my two cents.

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »
Yeah, well I think you are going to run across people who don't like certain schools everywhere.  We're kind of talking about vast generalizations.  I know in my hometown (which is a huge legal market) attorney's I've talked to like GUlC grads more than almost anybody else and don't have a lot of respect for NYU grads.  Now even still that is a pretty small representation of attorney's and only from about 3 or 4 different firms in town.

Just take everything with a grain of salt.  One person's firm might not like GULC and another firm does.  If you have a pick between multiple schools of top notch caliber figure out where their hiring from and who is making partner.  While that definitely isn't a perfect science it definitely is better than just flat out guessing.  In the end, if you go to a t14 school or even a top 25 for the most part and do well you are going to be fine, at least for the short term, and if you enjoy the law probably for the long term as well.

Adding a little to my comment about believing that you are going to do well.  I think this is one of the most important factors as to why I am doing well in law school.  I didn't go to law school expecting or believing that middle of the pack was where I wanted to be.  I knew that everybody there (by and large) is smart enough to do well.  It comes down to work ethic.  Believe that you have what it takes to put in that extra effort, never get behind in your studies, and that you belong at the top.  I am a true believer that will take you very far in law school.  That was the advice I was given and it has worked for me.  Having that hard working mentality will also get you pretty far in the legal profession.  It amazes me how many slackers there are not just in law school but in the legal profession as well.  Anyways that is my two cents.

I don't like GULC for reasons outside of the lack of respect it gets from attorneys I know.  Most of why I don't like it is because I know people who have gone or go there now and basically think that the only value of a GULC degree is its prestige.  A lot of this is because of the "slacker" mentality you mentioned -- that seems to be prevalent at GULC, and a lot of people just coast along.  Or as my friend who goes there put it so eloquently: "You get on the bus, and the three years later you get off the bus with a fancy diploma."

yeah, and I guess I just look at it differently.  Law is challenging enough where there isn't really an excuse to slack.  I don't blame law schools for the slacker law students.  That is something I blame the law students for.  Law is by and large self taught.  You are guided by your professors but you are learning to teach yourself the law.  That really is the only thing law school is good for and then you have the value of your degree.  I tend to fall into the camp that Georgetown is a pretty valuable one at that.  But I am sure there are many attorney's who disagree with me as well as many who would agree.  We can get off Georgetown though.  I just threw it out in my posts because it is the school that I will like to end up at. 

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
I would like to say that outside of a couple of posts this is by far the friendliest LSD topic I have seen in a while.  Most of the time these days they just turn into arguing rants with no real information.  Anyways, I don't come on here too much but it is refreshing to witness one where people don't have to disagree just to disagree.

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 12:13:25 AM »
I dunno, coasting along and getting a prestigious diploma sounds good to me...

Lobstah!

• Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
I'm not going to pretend I know all about this stuff, but what I do know comes from my own experience. Our firm (not sure if considered "biglaw" but we pay market salary in all 8 office locations) hires people spanning the entire range of law schools. We have GULC and UVA grads all the way down to Tier 4. We hire a lot from regional schools (including a great deal from a nearby Tier 3) but there are certainly exceptions.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said here, but my own opinion is to go to the best school you can get into as long as you think you'll be happy there. If you always work your hardest it will pay off eventually, and it's 100 times easier to work hard if you're happy.

My view on transferring is that it should be done if you're completely dissatisfied with your situation and the only way you can think of (REALLY think of) is to get out of that school and into another.

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 06:49:59 AM »
I'm not going to pretend I know all about this stuff, but what I do know comes from my own experience. Our firm (not sure if considered "biglaw" but we pay market salary in all 8 office locations) hires people spanning the entire range of law schools. We have GULC and UVA grads all the way down to Tier 4. We hire a lot from regional schools (including a great deal from a nearby Tier 3) but there are certainly exceptions.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said here, but my own opinion is to go to the best school you can get into as long as you think you'll be happy there. If you always work your hardest it will pay off eventually, and it's 100 times easier to work hard if you're happy.

My view on transferring is that it should be done if you're completely dissatisfied with your situation and the only way you can think of (REALLY think of) is to get out of that school and into another.

I completely agree. GW has such a great reputation that I really don't think that you'll have a huge problem finding a job in Boston. If you are in the suggested top 10% or even top 5% for as some are saying is needed to transfer, I really doubt it would be extremely hard for you to find a job in Boston.   But like blobstah said, if you're truly dissatisfied with the environment and can't see yourself succeeding at the school for another year, then a transfer might be in order. 

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 07:45:37 AM »

I completely agree. GW has such a great reputation that I really don't think that you'll have a huge problem finding a job in Boston. If you are in the suggested top 10% or even top 5% for as some are saying is needed to transfer, I really doubt it would be extremely hard for you to find a job in Boston.   But like blobstah said, if you're truly dissatisfied with the environment and can't see yourself succeeding at the school for another year, then a transfer might be in order. 

You don't need to be top 10% to lateral. If you wanted to go to BU or BC, you could probably do it with top 30% or maybe even lower.

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 04:55:33 AM »
bump

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
Does anyone know if schools offer scholarships to transfers?

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
All the schools I have looked at do not, but I'm sure if you are a superstar some may consider it.