Law School Discussion

All about TRANSFERRING! (after 1L year)

-----

All about TRANSFERRING! (after 1L year)
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »
-

Re: All about TRANSFERRING! (after 1L year)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

Based on the data from last year's transfers posted to the yahoogruop, these are rough guesses to have a good shot at transferring:

For Harvard top 5% from a T30 school or top 1% at a lower ranked school.
For Gerogetown top 10-15% from a T30 school or top 5% from a lower ranked school.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
I haven't done any research, and maybe one of you know since you guys have looked into it, what would it take for someone going to a school like SMU to transfer to Berkeley or Stanford (provided they take transfers, of course).

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »
I didn't look at either BC or BU as I'm not interested in going to school at either.  I spent an hour or so sorting and organizing the data for the top 19 schools. 

Checkout the database on the yahoogroup, download the data, and then search for BU/BC/Boston.  Save those records in a spreadsheet for analysis.

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
From GW to BC?  (BC allowed 17 transfers in last year)
From GW to BU?  (BU allowed 6 transfers in last year)
From GW to Georgetown? (GT allowed 100 transfers last year(!))
From GW to Harvard? (Harvard allowed 34 transfers in last year)

I'm exploring some options, and I'm just trying to get a sense of how easy/difficult it is to transfer schools.

Probably it's easiest if you are doing amazing at your original school (like top 1/3rd) right? - but what if you're not?

What do adcoms look for in transfers?  Are they unusual?  Does it vary?

1. Do not transfer from GW to BC.
2. Do not transfer from GW to BU.
3. Top 15%, as stated above, is probably good for regular decision. For EA, probably want to have at least a 3.8 at GW to be assured a spot.
4. Dunno the % for HLS, but I'd want about a 3.9 to feel like I had a good shot. I don't know what percent rank that is, however.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
I spent an hour or so sorting and organizing the data for the top 19 schools. 

Er, wow.

I know, I know, why do the work yourself when you have people on LSD to do it for you, right? =)

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »

Thank you for this. TYTY.

I didn't look at either BC or BU as I'm not interested in going to school at either.  I spent an hour or so sorting and organizing the data for the top 19 schools. 

Do you have the info available for Columbia and NYU?  Pretty please.  TYIA.

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »

Thank you for this. TYTY.

Do you have the info available for Columbia and NYU?  Pretty please.  TYIA.

Not directed at me, but I'll answer... (from GW, anyway)

To transfer to those schools from GWU, you need ~3.7 (top 15%) which is the same as what you'll generally need for GULC. NYU is probably a bit easier to get into as it's slightly more transfer friendly. But if you have around a 3.7, you can feel pretty safe with it (the database linked reflects this to be true at basically all schools in GW's rank range)

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »
Most accepted to NYU and Columbia from 31-75 schools were top 1-2%, but there are a couple around 5-10%.  From T30 schools, most seem to be around top 10% but there are a few as high as 15%.

These are very small sample sizes...

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »
Chad.... why not transfer to BC or BU from GW?  I really want to practice in Boston after I graduate?

When you transfer, the grades from your previous school will not be considered in GPA calculations at the new school.  If you are at the top of your class after your first year at GW you have a good foundation to work from.  You could move to Boston, lose your strong first year grades, and end up at the median, which may be a big step backwards, even in Boston.