Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern, Cornell, Duke, or Michigan?  (Read 1357 times)

BerlinWall

• View Profile
Northwestern, Cornell, Duke, or Michigan?
« on: March 10, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »
Not that I've gotten into all of the above, but I'm curious as to how to rank them.  I've looked at different lists, but I would like some opinions, as they seem similar.  I'm from Chicago, but I wouldn't mind trying other places.  I've heard that I should rank NU first since it is in a big city and offers more networking opportunities, but it doesn't quite have the glamour that "Duke" or "Cornell" evokes.  And any positives on Michigan?  Good school, but in the middle of nowhere.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern, Cornell, Duke, or Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
Of the schools you listed, Michigan is the most highly regarded in the legal community.  They also have one of the strongest alumni networks, so I doubt the networking opportunities are worse than those at NU.  If you don't like Michigan's location, though, I'd probably pick NU if you wanted to stay in Chicago, Duke if you want to go to the South or DC/NY, and Cornell for NY.  All the schools are solid choices.

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern, Cornell, Duke, or Michigan?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
In the interest of full disclosure I'm a Northwestern 1L. 

NU has great placement throughout the country and is probably the best choice if you want to keep your options open.  It definitely gives you more options, in terms of total number of cities, than Cornell (arguably stronger placement in NYC than NU) and Duke (though obviously Duke is stronger for the South than NU), and possibly Michigan though I don't know as much about Michigan's placement statistics.  Here's a link to the geographic distribution of NU grads.  https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/