Law School Discussion

Rutgers - Camden

Re: Rutgers - Camden
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
Is temple's campus THAT bad?

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:34:12 AM »
Is temple's campus THAT bad?

No. The part of town to the north of Temple is bad; Temple's campus is quite safe.  People greatly exaggerate the crime at Temple and in Philadelphia generally on this board.  If you go to school here, you're not going to live in a bad neighborhood unless you choose to, and whatever campus you're on is probably super safe.

gophils215

• Just need one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
Temple also has it's own police department that patrols the campus and areas immediately surrounding the campus.  As bad as North Philly is, to suggest that Camden is better is suspect, at best.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »
Im going to be attending in the fall, moving from Buffalo, and was wondering if anyone knows of good places to live around the campus?

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »
If you are looking for somewhere to live near campus...try the Victor building.  It's slightly expensive, but it is very safe and has security/secured parking.  Plus it's got it's own pub right in the building and the apartments are pretty sizable. 

You could also try Philadelphia, around Center City and take PATCO over one or two stops...also kind of pricey. 

You might be able to find something a little cheaper near campus.  But don't leave the University section.  I have been to a townhome near campus that isn't the Victor and, while it was nice, it wasn't necessarily for me. 

I didn't attend Rutgers-Camden, but have a lot of info on it.  Let me know if you have any questions...you picked a solid school.

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »
How is the on-campus graduate housing? Is the parking secure? Is it even feasible to bring a vehicle to Camden?

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »
I am not sure about the on-campus housing, but I know someone who moved from there into the Victor building because he was unsatisfied.  I do not believe the parking is secure. 

It is very feasible to bring a car to Camden.  There are a bunch of parking locations available to Rutgers-Camden students as well as in various garages near campus. 

Maybe I'll get crucified for saying this...but I never actually felt unsafe when walking near/around Rutgers-Camden.  Granted, I grew up in South Jersey (NOT Camden) and worked a little bit in Camden, but I never got freaked out or feared for my life.  The University area has three schools right there and it's mostly students around that area.  You do get locals, but most have ties to one school or another (by work, etc.).  The campus is actually pretty nice (I was pleasantly surprised) and the new law building is underway.  There are also a variety of bars - from decent to dive bars.  While Camden as a whole is vastly unsafe, the University area made me feel safer than Temple's campus or even times in University City at Penn's campus.  Maybe I'm just weird.

Plus you have the old Tweeter Center, the Aquarium, etc. that brings tourists/concert-goers.  Once again, I wasn't a R-C student, but I do know a decent amount about the school.