Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will age be a factor in getting a good (high-paying) job?  (Read 4192 times)

MrMediaguy

• View Profile
Re: Will age be a factor in getting a good (high-paying) job?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »
I think there is also the mentality among firms of "Older graduates won't be tricked into 80 hour weeks for a few years before being pushed off the partner track".

Would the fact that older graduates might be more committed to a geographical location and less likely to job-hop offer any appeal at all to firms?

luckylady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
I thought I would pass on a bit of information that I got recently on this subject - I spoke to a lawyer at a top top firm in Boston and asked her this very question - I was told that age isn't an issue, if you do well at a good school you can get a biglaw job. She told me that a recent hire was in his 40's and was sought after by several big firms. She also said that while those of us who are new lawyers and in our 30's and 40's will be the minority, it is not THAT unusual, and you won't be the only one. So while I feel better about my job prospects after that conversation, I still think it's funny that anyone would consider me old when I feel (and look  ;D) so young!

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 01:09:18 PM »
Luckylady,

I would think you could turn this to your advantage. Experience wise, you have so much more to offer than the average graduate.  Yes, it may not be in the field of law, but you probably have a much better handle on how to deal with people and make decisions, something all top firms love.

Good Luck!