Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 1490 times)

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Frustrated
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
I took a practice test today after not even looking at a study book since I took the test in December. I scored a 170, what I was averaging before I took the December LSAT. ARG!!! I take this as strong evidence that this is the range I should have scored at in December. Instead I became very anxious and ended up with a 160. And yes I have always used realistic timed conditions.

So I don't think I can be happy without giving it another whirl in June. If I bomb again I can go to Iowa this fall anyway.

What do I need to do to avoid another melt down come June? Should I not study so hard this time? I know it is realistic to expect a small drop on test day, but if I could even pull a 165-7 I would completely change my prospects.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »
Were there any particular problems when you took the test?  Unusually distracting environment?  Excess nervousness?  Anything like that?  Or, was there a section that proved to be more difficult than you expected?

If so, I'd probably consider how to address those issues, particularly if you found that your own nerves got the best of you.

However, if you're worried only about how to study better, it sounds like you should just review all the questions you've done and try some more.  I'd suggest saving the Prep-test 40 and Prep-test 50 series for closer to the test and do some or all of those again /very/ carefully to get the best practice for what will be on the test.

EDIT:  I guess what I'm saying is that it's not clear to me that there's anything "different" you should do to prepare for the next test.  Can you give us a better idea of your exact study regiment the first time around?
CLS 2011.  All done.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
I did not study very long(approx. 2 months) the first time and the first book I bought was the Kaplan 180 book. The last couple weeks I took a pt every other day sometimes every day. I ended up totaling about 12 PTs and my scores were basically around 169 consistently between 166 and 172 but a lack of consistency within that range. I could score a 166 one day and a 172 the next. My diagnostic was a 160 but I did not take another for a little while and after I started taking them again I scored ind the range I mentioned with one 163 on thanksgiving day.

I think this time I will buy a basic book and study some question types, setups, etc. However, I was still doing well just 'feeling my way through the dark.' On the test day, I think my nerves got the better of me is what it was. I posted on here a lot prior to taking the first test and got the feeling that if I did not get a 167+ my life would be over. Now, that I have the Iowa acceptance in the bag I feel I can go into the nest test more confidant.

Do ya'll think studying the bibles, learning question types, set ups, etc. and taking less PTs would help improve my confidence? I do not want/need to necessarily improve my score on the PTs but I would like to fell more confidant and more consistent with my scores?

I will be shooting for the 166+ range in June. I think any higher will give me too much pressure and I will become nervous on the test day. I just landed a job in Nashville and getting into Vandy will probably be my goal. 

I greatly appreciate any help, advice, or techniques to help me archive my goals. 

Pigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:53:31 PM »
The LSAT sucks.  It's also a huge moneymaker for tens of thousands of people.  Screw it.

If I were you I would just head off to school this year and stop pumping money into the LSAT money pit. Get on with your life and have a blast in law school this fall and beyond.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 11:46:45 PM »
The LSAT sucks.  It's also a huge moneymaker for tens of thousands of people.  Screw it.

If I were you I would just head off to school this year and stop pumping money into the LSAT money pit. Get on with your life and have a blast in law school this fall and beyond.

lol. You are the first person to suggest that I do not retake in all the postings I have made. The part about going on with your life totally hits home for me because I do not want to waste another year waiting. However, if I do wait, my wife and I can save up some money and she could possibly get her master's degree. The worst thing that could happen if I retake in June is not doing any better/doing worse and then going ahead to law school in the fall and any time I spent studying would have been a waste. But I don't think I will study too hard or burn myself out leading up to this LSAT so I don't think it will be too big of a problem. I do completly understand your point though.

Pigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 12:27:05 AM »
lol. You are the first person to suggest that I do not retake in all the postings I have made. The part about going on with your life totally hits home for me because I do not want to waste another year waiting. However, if I do wait, my wife and I can save up some money and she could possibly get her master's degree. The worst thing that could happen if I retake in June is not doing any better/doing worse and then going ahead to law school in the fall and any time I spent studying would have been a waste. But I don't think I will study too hard or burn myself out leading up to this LSAT so I don't think it will be too big of a problem. I do completly understand your point though.

I'm glad that you understood where I'm coming from, BlueSuede, and that you were not offended by my post at all.  I truly did mean it in exactly the way you took it.  I'm an older guy, making a big career shift by going to law school, so I have a little perspective on how surprising life can be when we least expect it.  That's the only reason I'd advise you to not hold off on school and to just put the LSAT to rest and move forward in life.

If the only thing you'd be doing during the year off is cramming for the LSAT and trying to improve your score I would say, "Forget it, man, move on with school" until I'm blue in the face.  But since you pointed out that you have reasons for delaying I can see why perhaps waiting another year could be a good thing.

Me?  I applied to only one measly school this year and I never even opened up the LSAT score that the LSAC sent to me.  "Screw it," I said.  I can't change that score or do anything about it in time to change things for this cycle so I said, "screw it."  I do not care what the score is.  I care only that I get in to the school I picked. 

I think we all tend to get way to whipped and worked over by LSAT points.  I probably tend to go too far the other way, but my UGPA from years ago is damned high and I test pretty well, so I'm confident.

I'm calm and not obsessing about the numbers, and I was just encouraging you, BlueSuede, to do the same.  I'm glad you didn't take offense, man.  Good luck to you in everything.

Pretentious Undergrad

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pip pip, children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:57:15 AM »
Man, the same thing happened to me last week. I wrote in September and got a 163 when I had been practicing in the high 160s. On a whim I wrote a practice test last week without studying or reviewing anything since September and scored a 169. @#!* you LSAT. @#!*. You.

palapower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »
My suggestion is to stop reading the forums.  They are full of elitist dip shits who are the reason you feel like if you don't get a 167+ your life is over.  When I initially started reading any type of LSAT based forum it was very insightful and put me on the right track.  After that it's useless it just puts added pressure on you because you're talking to a bunch of equally obsessive people.  My original timed diagnostic was 140 in Jan.  I had unrealistic expectations of the test due to word of mouth.  I basically got the information I needed from the forum and went on studying and the anxiety and pressure seemed to alleviate itself the more I learned the material.  I jumped from a 140 to in the range of a 170-172.  Study alot, don't associate yourself with too many people who are as OCD as you about this, and spend alot of time going over the ones you got wrong on the practice tests.

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:56:08 PM »
To the OP: Just study well until June to stay in shape. Take 1 or 2 tests the week before the actual exam and relax/distract yourself the day before. I played football and soccer with friends the night before and consciously kept my mind on that. The next day I was relaxed and hit my target on the test.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
My suggestion is to stop reading the forums.  They are full of elitist dip shits who are the reason you feel like if you don't get a 167+ your life is over.  When I initially started reading any type of LSAT based forum it was very insightful and put me on the right track.  After that it's useless it just puts added pressure on you because you're talking to a bunch of equally obsessive people.  My original timed diagnostic was 140 in Jan.  I had unrealistic expectations of the test due to word of mouth.  I basically got the information I needed from the forum and went on studying and the anxiety and pressure seemed to alleviate itself the more I learned the material.  I jumped from a 140 to in the range of a 170-172.  Study alot, don't associate yourself with too many people who are as OCD as you about this, and spend alot of time going over the ones you got wrong on the practice tests.

Good post. If you stay dedicated, your score will increase significantly. Anything is possible.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!