Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lewis&CLark v Oregon v Willamette?  (Read 1522 times)

maesepedro

• View Profile
Lewis&CLark v Oregon v Willamette?
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
I'm returning the PNW and want to school in Oregon.  If I were concerned purely with ranking, I wouldn't necessarily even ask anyone to break down Oregon's three schools but if anyone has any first-hand, salient distinctions to offer up in narrowing down a choice between the 3, that would be great.

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis&CLark v Oregon v Willamette?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »
What sort of law are you interested in?

sirbarron

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »
I attend L & C, which I like very much, but I've heard from Willamette transfers to L & C that Willamette has a forced purge at the end of every year and that they just didn't enjoy it there at all. Sorry for the confusing sentence.
Accepted: Indiana/Bloomington($$), Penn State($),  Franklin Pierce($$), Pitt($$), L & C($$), Willamette($$$), Arkansas/Fayetteville($$), U of Denver
Still waiting: Wash in ST. Louis, Buffalo, George Mason
163, 3.0

maesepedro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:14:08 AM »
thanks for the feedback sirbarron.  i wouldn't mind being next door to tryon park either.  do you find as many transfers from oregon as you do willamette?  that purge at willamette does make you wonder if each student is properly stewarded their first year.  siskiyoumtn, i'm pretty interested in international law but am also entertaining the notion of public advocacy / defense work...given the green tendencies of u of o and l&c, neither overwhelmingly jump out v willamette in the direction i'm heading.  plus, professorially, i don't know of many great distinctions between the three.  it doesn't seem like l&c or oregon are necessarily going to put that many more people into portland than willamette within similar class rankings so maybe it just boils down to quality of life, pdx v salem v eugene, especially considering i hope to work in oregon. anyway, i'd be interested to hear more about your experience in sw portland, sirbarron.   

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 07:08:43 AM »
i have heard that the hiring market in the pacific nw for lawyers sucks. it's not a large legal center, and there are many students from top-ranked schools who want to move there for lifestyle reasons, so it can be very competitive. best of luck to you.

nikos13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »
i have heard that the hiring market in the pacific nw for lawyers sucks. it's not a large legal center, and there are many students from top-ranked schools who want to move there for lifestyle reasons, so it can be very competitive. best of luck to you.

I have also heard this over and over...which is pushing me away from attending L&C

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »
I wish I had the OP's choice.

Accepted at Willamette, waitlisted at Oregon, deferred at L&C.

I have to make a decision for either Texas Tech or Willamette. Which means either staying in Texas for the rest of my life or moving to the pacific NW. UofO is my top choice.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »

Clayton:

Even if you go to Texas, you don't have to stay there for the rest of your life.  Law School + 3-5 years to get your feet wet with practical experience.  Then you can move and have a shot at getting a job elsewhere.

From everything I've heard, your alma mater matters less and less after the first few years after school.  I mean, it would still be great to have a top 14 on your resume for all eternity, but your experience and professional references will mean more.

"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

sirbarron

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 05:43:59 PM »
You know I'm sure there are kids from highly ranked schools coming into Portland and taking jobs away from Oregon school kids, but I just haven't seen this, certainly not enough to comfirm that if you graduate from L & C you'll be behind T14ers. I've not met many attorneys here that were from out of state. The legal market is small but I'd say L & C places just as well, if not better, than big out of state schools. By the way, L & C has been a great experience for me and I've really enjoyed living in the city.
Accepted: Indiana/Bloomington($$), Penn State($),  Franklin Pierce($$), Pitt($$), L & C($$), Willamette($$$), Arkansas/Fayetteville($$), U of Denver
Still waiting: Wash in ST. Louis, Buffalo, George Mason
163, 3.0

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 01:46:35 AM »
I really want to live in the PNW, but it's hard choosing Willamette over Tech because Tech has the better law school.