Law School Discussion

Osgoode Minimum LSAT

Cheeks

• View Profile
Re: Osgoode Minimum LSAT
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2004, 02:03:03 PM »
if 10 people applied, then yeah, being at the median would be pretty good.  but, when 2000 people apply, being at the median can't be considered a shoe-in.

But it's the median of the entering class - not the median of the applicants.  Does it matter how many people apply?  If 250 people are admitted- based on my stats wouldn't I be somewhere in the middle?  Therefore approximately 50% of the class would have lower numbers than me?

Thanks for your help ..

yeah, it's the median of the entering class, but my point was this...

If there's like 2000 applicants, and the medians are 3.5/160.  Well, it would be nice if the applicants were all ranked, and that applicant 1's numbers > applicant 2's numbers > ... so that the law school would simply admit the best 250 students, and then you would know exactly where you stand.

However, since a school publishes its median numbers, then they are likely to get a large number of applicants with very similar numbers, and those numbers would be very similar to the median.  For example, if school X has median 4.00/180, then I won't apply there since i won't get in.  But, if it has median 3.5/160 and if those are my numbers, or close to them, then I will apply there.  And, because there are so many law schools, it is likely that a school has a tonn of applicants that apply with numbers similar to their medians.  Lets say, out of the 2000 applicants, 1500 have numbers "close" to the median of last years entering class. 

But out of those 1500, they can only admit 250 ... doesn't look so good.  I think I'm making reasonable assumptions.  Obviously 75% of all applicants being borderline cases is exaggerating a bit ... but i was just trying to make a point  :D

So it is true that only 50% of the class would have worse numbers than you, but it's also true that everyone rejected will have close to the same numbers as you also  :-\

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2004, 02:23:05 PM »
if 10 people applied, then yeah, being at the median would be pretty good.  but, when 2000 people apply, being at the median can't be considered a shoe-in.

But it's the median of the entering class - not the median of the applicants.  Does it matter how many people apply?  If 250 people are admitted- based on my stats wouldn't I be somewhere in the middle?  Therefore approximately 50% of the class would have lower numbers than me?

Thanks for your help ..

However, since a school publishes its median numbers, then they are likely to get a large number of applicants with very similar numbers, and those numbers would be very similar to the median.  For example, if school X has median 4.00/180, then I won't apply there since i won't get in.  But, if it has median 3.5/160 and if those are my numbers, or close to them, then I will apply there.  And, because there are so many law schools, it is likely that a school has a tonn of applicants that apply with numbers similar to their medians.  Lets say, out of the 2000 applicants, 1500 have numbers "close" to the median of last years entering class. 

But out of those 1500, they can only admit 250 ... doesn't look so good.  I think I'm making reasonable assumptions.  Obviously 75% of all applicants being borderline cases is exaggerating a bit ... but i was just trying to make a point  :D

1500 close to this median is an exaggaration, I think.  The rejected applicants will be all over the place (since people with quite below the median do apply and can even get accepted: I know one such person.  If there are 10-20% chance odds of getting in a lot of people will apply), not everyone sits right there close to that median, and more importantly this person is higher than the median.  Out of 280-290 Osgoode offers, they will send double the acceptance letters in a pool of 2400 applicants (last year's).  Sounds pretty good to me.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2004, 02:30:45 PM »
we will have to disagree...i'm not saying that he doesn't have a chance - just not a shoe-in.

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2004, 02:34:34 PM »
Another thing I completely forgot above is that medians of the LSAT and the GPA are not taken in tandem but indipendent of each other.  The median is not LSAT and GPA per person.  Thus, an average applicant will not satisfy the medians of both.

This makes a huge difference.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2004, 05:01:42 PM »
Obviously the medians are somewhat inflated...for a LOT of reasons.  But, I think that with the OPs numbers, he's still a borderline case.  Wait, you were the OP.  blah ...  :-\

Anyways, I think it's safe to say that if you are around the medians, the school is a reasonable posibility.  A lot of auto-admit comments have been flying around and I just don't see that happening. 

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2004, 05:20:03 PM »

Anyways, I think it's safe to say that if you are around the medians, the school is a reasonable posibility.  A lot of auto-admit comments have been flying around and I just don't see that happening. 

Well, I still think you need to give a better example.  Those medians are inflated for the reasons we already cited, and the non-OP has GPA/LSAT higher than the medians, and quite a bit so.  Seriously, I need to hear why they'd reject this person if there is even a half-decent PS and LOR.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2004, 05:32:41 PM »
well, we can't put PS and LORs and stuff into the mix ... because that's what I'm saying matters.  If PS and LORs are good ... he'll get in ...

I think my above reason was a very good one ... but i'll try it again.

Lets take osgoode, who's medians are 3.7? and 160? say.

They get 2000 applicants.  You thought 1500 was a bit much ... lets just say 500 ...

500 applicants are between 3.6-3.8 and 158-162.  Those 500 applicants are competing for 200 spots.  I think is this a very possible situation.  So, the committee will either proceed by taking the highest numbers out of that group ... like saying a 3.61 is better than a 3.60 and accepting the 3.61 and rejecting the 3.60 OR

they will look at that group and compare things like PS, WE, ECs ... LORs ... and the best ones will get in.  IE, if you're in that group, you better have good PS, and stuff ... :D