Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 13574 times)

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: States ending AA
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2008, 02:08:58 PM »

I live and raise my children in town which is known for its excellent public school system.  This was by choice.  I, fortunately, can afford the 20K per year in property tax which funds the school system.   
While it is true that my ability to live and send my children to school here is function of socio-economic rather than racial factors it cannot be argued that statistically, particularly in urban areas poverty affects minorities in greater relative percentages than whites (see http://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/vanneman/socy441/trends/racepov.html). 

The question that we as society should be trying to understand and answer is "why?".  There is no simple single answer, but in my opinion AA is trying to address the idea that to break the cycle of poverty it is necessary to increase the educational level of those who traditionally did not have the advantages (both economic and social) of living in the "majority." 

Ha ha!  does the cycle of poverty apply to anyone who can't afford areas with $20k in property taxes?   I assume you're the subset of Democracts who can afford to be (the other subset being those who can't afford to be).

Your post indicates you're so out of touch.  Admittance into Yale has little bearing on the vast majority towhom AA is helpful (those in the lower T4/T3 population) where just getting into college is a feat...  The basic flaw in your argument is you're using the lower end of the curve (cycle of poverty) to provide justifications on the upper end (admittance to Yale).

BTW: I'm old too...but not that old

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
Sigh.  I find it sad that for the most part there is no meaningful discussion to be had with either young or entrenched/bigoted people. 

I can't wait for the grey bearded, birkenstock wearing, smelly old hippies like you in law school. It should be fun.

is an example of stupidity that will never pass for even the hint of intelligence in law school  I too look forward to seeing you in law school.  Someone needs the push the front of the curve.

Also, where the hell do you live that you pay 20k a year in property tax?  You can't be in the US.

and

Ha ha!  does the cycle of poverty apply to anyone who can't afford areas with $20k in property taxes?   I assume you're the subset of Democracts who can afford to be (the other subset being those who can't afford to be).

Show both of you to be the ones out of touch.  Talk to your parents and actually ask them what they pay in school/property tax.  In Westchester, NY where I live this is not even towards the high end.  My wife and I (both who work very hard) are very lucky and it is precisely that fact that makes me willing to accept someone getting into school ahead of me who does not have the scores, grades or economic/racial advantages that I do.

Both of your presences and doltish comments just further my belief that it far too soon to eliminate AA.   

Finally,  look at LSN (here is link for Columbia   http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&cycle=5&school_code=2163&status=3&sort=lsat&order=d&status=3&application_type=0&program=1)
You will note that the many of the UM have similar numbers to what I quoted.  Good for them, shame on you.

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
For your information, Mr. Greybeard, I have very little opinion of AA either way. Most of my family could benefit. I probably couldn't, but whatever.

My problem with you is your superiority complex. Every post I've seen of yours is approximately 1000 words long full of self-aggrandizement. I'm sure you like the smell of your own flatuence.

You criticize others on grounds of being entrenched, but you are, in every post of yours, steadfastly pro-AA. What kind of consistency is that? That whole open-minded thing is supposed to go both ways, feminine hygiene product bag. I'm sure your kids kiss your birkenstocks daily, and bow to that practiced nasily hippie tone of yours, but don't expect it anywhere else.

And I wish you sincerely good luck on that whole curve thing.. Maybe some emeritus members of the faculty will appreciate a fellow herbivorous dinosaur, but otherwise expect to be laughed at. I, of course, am not protesting middle aged members of the student body, but don't expect any pedestals, as this feminine hygiene product does... because you won't get any.. Maybe that's why he's so obessed with AA -- he feels that his dusty ass deserves some advantage, also.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
Sigh.  I find it sad that for the most part there is no meaningful discussion to be had with either young or entrenched/bigoted people. 

Dude, this lesson is usually learned the first week on this board.

Reread some of the other AA threads. These dolts have no ability for a meaningful discussion about race.
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »

Reread some of the other AA threads. These dolts have no ability for a meaningful discussion about race.

I'm sorry we couldn't live up to your high standards, dude.

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2008, 04:27:01 PM »

Show both of you to be the ones out of touch.  Talk to your parents and actually ask them what they pay in school/property tax.  In Westchester, NY where I live this is not even towards the high end.  My wife and I (both who work very hard) are very lucky and it is precisely that fact that makes me willing to accept someone getting into school ahead of me who does not have the scores, grades or economic/racial advantages that I do.

Both of your presences and doltish comments just further my belief that it far too soon to eliminate AA.   

Finally,  look at LSN (here is link for Columbia   http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&cycle=5&school_code=2163&status=3&sort=lsat&order=d&status=3&application_type=0&program=1)
You will note that the many of the UM have similar numbers to what I quoted.  Good for them, shame on you.

Good flame!  Well executed!!  Next time, don't mention Westchester and people might take it seriously.   

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »

TITCR

The reality is, 99% of the posts on this board are knee-jerk reactions of entrenched mindsets.  This counts for BOTH sides of the argument. 

A useful discussion, however, ye shall not have.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
There are many bigots in favor of AA.  Not all bigots are white.  Not all those against race based AA are bigots.   Not all those against raced based AA are white. 

NYU2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
Can anyone provide a logical argument saying affirmative action toward URM's is better than would be giving a leg up to the socioeconomically disadvantaged?

The only logical argument in favor of affirmative action is that URM's have less opportunities because they are statistically more socioeconomically disadvantaged.  This is ridiculous because it would be much better to give students a boost based on socioeconomic factors. 

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
Can anyone provide a logical argument saying affirmative action toward URM's is better than would be giving a leg up to the socioeconomically disadvantaged?

The only logical argument in favor of affirmative action is that URM's have less opportunities because they are statistically more socioeconomically disadvantaged.  This is ridiculous because it would be much better to give students a boost based on socioeconomic factors. 

AA is not a noble cause.  It is a way for colleges to say, hey, look at us, we are so diverse.  It's about filling quotas.  It's all about perception.  Breaking people down according to race is easy.  They can say, look at us, we care and here's a simple set of statistics that prove it.