Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED ADVICE FOR SUMMER AFTER UG!!!!  (Read 280 times)

jetman820

• View Profile
    • Email
NEED ADVICE FOR SUMMER AFTER UG!!!!
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
I'm finishing up my undergrad and going to be living at home in Rhode Island for the summer before law school. I looked for an internship and I have an offer at a relatively small firm in RI and a considerably larger (right outside v100) in boston. The pay is the same but I'm not sure what to do...does an internship this summer help my chances for an associate next summer? any advice is greatly appreciated

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NEED ADVICE FOR SUMMER AFTER UG!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »
I'm finishing up my undergrad and going to be living at home in Rhode Island for the summer before law school. I looked for an internship and I have an offer at a relatively small firm in RI and a considerably larger (right outside v100) in boston. The pay is the same but I'm not sure what to do...does an internship this summer help my chances for an associate next summer? any advice is greatly appreciated

Your grades matter the most, hands down.  If you have the grades, an internship can give you something to talk about at an interview, and show potential employers that you are familiar with how firms work.  It is interview fodder, but the grades are what get you the interview (unless you have substantial w/e, which can also be very helpful)

jetman820

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
would the internship help in my chances at an associate at that particular firm????

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
would the internship help in my chances at an associate at that particular firm????

It could, there's no hard and fast rule about that.  People I know who paralegaled at firms for 1-2 years got offers without even interviewing, but again, they had been working there for at least a year.