Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Someone Please Help...  (Read 1856 times)

cp-slo

• View Profile
Someone Please Help...
« on: October 03, 2004, 10:51:47 PM »
I think that I did badly on the October 2004 LSAT (148-152).  I had an awful feeling when I left and have spent the last two days crying my eyes out.  During the test I felt like I was in a complete daze, not to mention that the first LR was incredibly hard, harder than any of the five practice tests I took.  I took the Testmasters course and studied a lot in the past two months.  I just do not know where I went wrong.  I have been scoring anywhere from 150 to my high of 156.  My problem is that I am set to graduate in December from the best state school in Califoria with a 2.9.  I will be insanely busy the next two months with classes and therefore I do not know whether to cancel the score and retake or let it ride and see what happens.  Do people usually do better when they retake the test?  What should I do? I REALLY want to go to law school in the Bay Area (Santa Clara, USF, McGeorge, or maybe even Golden Gate.)  Do I even have a chance?  I have excellent recommendations and had a great summer legal internship.  Is it easier to get in to the school of your choice if you apply at their night school?  I am so freaked out.  Please help.

Holden Caufield

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Someone Please Help...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 11:05:39 PM »
If you are going to graduate with a GPA that low and have the possibility of scoring in the 140s, i would think it may be in your best interest to cancel and retake. However, even if you get your score up to the mid 150s, with that GPA, you still have some reachs  in there like Santa Clara.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 09:04:18 AM »
You problem is that you only took 5 practice tests.  You can probably do better.  You'll have one real lsat sitting under your belt, and be able to anticipate your emotions.  And do more prep tests.  5 is not enough, imo, even with a testmasters course.  If you're not applying the TM techniques over many, many tests, you won't be able to apply them on a real one.

I think you would benefit with taking a year off, studying for the June lsat, and getting a little bit of WE.  The more work experience you have (and we're talking upwards of two years here), the more you will be able to offset your gpa, and distinguish yourself to adcoms *despite* your gpa.  But any will help a little bit, adn the extra time to work on teh lsat in your position will be invaluable.

SLOguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »
Hi cp-slo,
     I went to Poly too.  I now go to Mcgeorge.  I am a first year evening student and I love it.  McGeorge is a great place to be and there are quite a few poly grads.  Anyway, you have a rough shot for getting in to the day division with a 2.9 and anything below 156.  However, you will probably get in to the evening division which is a lot easier to get in to.  I know the evening division sounds bad, but I really like it--my days are free for study/ work, it's less money per semester, and you can do it in 3.5 years (only one semester longer than the day division).  Definitely check it out if you are serious about McGeorge.  Good luck.

rabidrhino

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 04:02:41 PM »
I am in the same boat, that is, feeling I messed up on the LSAT. I also understand your dillema about canceling. I am wondering the same thing. The first thing I think you need to ask yourself is, do you typically freak out after tests, think you did terrible and do much better then you thought. Also, the more I read this board, the more I am beginning to think that I won't cancel, reasob being, when people feel that a test was so easy, which I am reading all over this board, their results are not as high as what they previously thought. I dont know what to tell you except that as I am , you need to think about, did you guess on about the same amount of questions that you were on your practice tests, and I agree, I felt the LR to be diffucult, maybe because I was expecting curve balls and they were not there but I was looking for them (if that makes sense). However, I usually score higher on the LR then the games, and I felt the games were not that bad, well, except for the one I did not do. Scores could offset themselves.

rabidrhino

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 04:14:57 PM »
Another thing, is, do you have the time before the december 2 to really study? I work full time and need to evaluate the same situation. If you do not have much time, to study that is, I would think about it hard. I am in elite athlete, and for example, if I trained for a race on October 2nd and had another race coming up December 4th but not too much time to train, I will do worse. WHo knows if this makes sense. If you decide to cancel, my suggestion would be, to break the test up into mini-tests, if you go to college, take a LR section in with you to the union area where people are moving around and eating etc. Time one section, thats it, review it within five hours of taking it. This can make studying feasible while helping you gain exposure to loud environments. For example, when I was taking the test I had this stupid fat kid next to me that was breathing like darth vader, during the break I rushed out to the maintenance area and found a guy who gave me ear plugs that he mowed with, they helped so much.

cp-slo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 06:14:30 PM »
Thank you all for your advice and great suggestions.  I have decided to cancel my score and study like hell for two months.  I feel that I can only improve.  I am planmning on buying those Logic Game and Logical Reasoning Bibles everyone on this board is raving about...Does anyone know which testprep book is the best? I am guessing not Kaplans...

Also, in response to SLOguy--if I marked night division on all my applications would that help?  or because there are less applicants for night it might be just as competitive?  Where else is everyone applying?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 06:18:12 PM »
NO PRINCETON PREP BOOKS!

Only get the Real, Actual lsats.  The best one is "The Next 10 Real Actual LSATs."  I think they're $30 from lsac.org, and look on amazon, as they might have it too.  I know they ahve the two older ones (10 Actual, and 10 More Actual).  You'll want the newest ones possible though, imo, so the next 10, and maybe a handful of the single ones, which are the most recent (as in, too recent to get lumped into a book of 10).

And with the to bibles, you should be all set. Good luck in December!

cp-slo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 06:48:28 PM »
JACY-
I was reading a response of yours on another board about the way LSAC translates grades... I got a D in a math class freshman year of college, retook it and got a B.  Does LSAC not replace the grade with the higher one like my school does?  Noe I am really scared...With a 2.9 and LSAT of anywhere from 150-160, what should I do??????

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 07:29:01 PM »
No, lsac won't replace the grades.  They'll factor each grade in like it was two separate courses.

I really can't tell you what to do.  If your gpa is going to be below a 3.0, the general advice is that you need every point you can on the lsat.  Since the D was in your freshman year, and assuming you have had a general upward trend, that will help a bit.

I think my advice still stands though.  If you only took 5 practice tests along with testmasters, I think you really can improve more by taking more practice tests (the 10 actual lsats, 10 more actual lsats, adn the next 10)

If you feel in your heart that you didn't do as well as you could have, cancel or postpone.  I'd definitely recommend taking in June still, so you won't ahve anything other than a job to take up your study time.

A 2.9 is definitely not the end of the world.  There are many others here with lower gpas and decent lsat scores and they're successfully pursuing their dream.

If you keep your current score, and send apps out now anyway, you could definitely still get in somewhere for next fall if you pick a bunch of realistic tier 3/4 schools (with tier 3 probably more reaches, but *totally* depending on the lsat).  But if you're not satisfied with your score or with whatever schools you get into, you can retake and take a year off to work.  YOu have more options than you think!

Whatever you decide, best of luck!