Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC v Wake v Tulane ($$)  (Read 3586 times)

moo cow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BC v Wake v Tulane ($$)
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »
You did see that Tulane had competitive numbers within the non-Boston based firms you listed, right?  I think that is what yestheemory was referring to about the trolling.

My historical USNews knowledge might be lacking, but when was BC in the Top 20?

since you have pointed it out twice now, yes, i noticed.   

however, a troll is someone who pretends to be objective but really talks up the school he attends.  since i do not go to BC i am not a troll.  i was just making an observation about the relative merits of the two schools based on what i had heard about both of their reputations.

and i don't have the specific dates in front of me, but it's fairly common knowledge that BC was in the top 20 for years.  i'm not sure why they have been falling in the rankings lately...

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 03:25:20 PM »
You did see that Tulane had competitive numbers within the non-Boston based firms you listed, right?  I think that is what yestheemory was referring to about the trolling.

since you have pointed it out twice now, yes, i noticed.   

however, a troll is someone who pretends to be objective but really talks up the school he attends.  since i do not go to BC i am not a troll.  i was just making an observation about the relative merits of the two schools based on what i had heard about both of their reputations.

and i don't have the specific dates in front of me, but it's fairly common knowledge that BC was in the top 20 for years.  i'm not sure why they have been falling in the rankings lately...

I posted the dates above.  BC has been ranked in the high 20s for 5-6 years now.

yesTHEEMORY

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »

Wow!  This kind of shooting advice from the hip strategy sure isn't working well for you.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 04:05:40 PM »
for what it's worth, tulane is ranked much lower and i think BC carries a more national name.  BC has taken a hit lately but they have historically been in the top 20.  i can say with relative certainty that the top half of the class at BC will get a decent job-- either midlaw or biglaw.  i imagine that big firms just don't go that far into tulane's class.  but again, i don't know much about tulane, so that's a guess.

Edit: Looks like 1990 and 1993 were BCs T20 years.

I posted the dates above.  BC has been ranked in the high 20s for 5-6 years now.

Ok, He may have been a few #s off, but I think you are being a little nit-picky when he says the top 20 and some years we have been 22 or 24...the difference between 20 and 24 is quite negligible (granted, this year we are 28).  Nevertheless, his point that BC is much higher ranked than Tulane remains the same (whether there is any merit or worth to such rankings is another whole discussion for another day).  If you avg BC's rankings from 1996-2007 (I start in 1996 because that is when they started going beyond the top 25...but note that it does not include many good ranking years of BC), then BC Averages a ranking of 24.58 to Tulane's 45.25.

8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »
for what it's worth, tulane is ranked much lower and i think BC carries a more national name.  BC has taken a hit lately but they have historically been in the top 20.  i can say with relative certainty that the top half of the class at BC will get a decent job-- either midlaw or biglaw.  i imagine that big firms just don't go that far into tulane's class.  but again, i don't know much about tulane, so that's a guess.

Edit: Looks like 1990 and 1993 were BCs T20 years.

Ok, He may have been a few #s off, but I think you are being a little nit-picky when he says the top 20 and some years we have been 22 or 24...the difference between 20 and 24 is quite negligible (granted, this year we are 28).  Nevertheless, his point that BC is much higher ranked than Tulane remains the same (whether there is any merit or worth to such rankings is another whole discussion for another day).  If you avg BC's rankings from 1996-2007 (I start in 1996 because that is when they started going beyond the top 25...but note that it does not include many good ranking years of BC), then BC Averages a ranking of 24.58 to Tulane's 45.25.

Oh yeah, BC is definitely higher ranked than Tulane and I don't see how that will ever change, short of Russia pitying NOLA when Putin surprise Alas, Babylons the states.  My beef ( ;) ) was more with moo cow bringing another BC favored inaccurate statement into the thread.

I'm not at all trying to say that Tulane is a better school than BC, more arguing that someone who wants to work in the South should consider Tulane at a discount vs BC.  BOTH Tulane and BC place better than their ranking suggest AND BC places better than Tulane generally.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

Oh yeah, BC is definitely higher ranked than Tulane and I don't see how that will ever change, short of Russia pitying NOLA when Putin surprise Alas, Babylons the states.  My beef ( ;) ) was more with moo cow bringing another BC favored inaccurate statement into the thread.

I'm not at all trying to say that Tulane is a better school than BC, more arguing that someone who wants to work in the South should consider Tulane at a discount vs BC.  BOTH Tulane and BC place better than their ranking suggest AND BC places better than Tulane generally.

Fair enough..I agree with everything you said.   As I had posted earlier, I seriously considered Tulane with a large scholarship, but ultimately thought BC was the right fit for me.  Good luck to the OP and congrats on making a decision.  I am sure you will really enjoy Tulane!
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk