Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC v Wake v Tulane ($$)  (Read 3601 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BC v Wake v Tulane ($$)
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 01:38:59 AM »
the bottom line is that BC will give you a much better shot at BIGLAW than your other schools...  0L's don't realize what the market is like out there.  although it's taken a hit in the rankings lately, BC still places really well in all the major firms.  Wake and Tulane do not.... don't take my word on it.  put some major firms into google and see where their lawyers went (e.g. goodwin procter, bingham mccutchen, paul weiss, skadden arps, cadwalader, king and spaulding, etc.).  you will see that BC is highly represented at most of them, while your alternative schools are not at all.

I hate replying to posts like this. 

Did you even bother to check up on the firms?

King and Spaulding (the only firm with a reasonable Southern office) has more Tulane Law grads
Cadwalader and Skadden have very similar amounts of graduates

Goodwin Procter / Bingham are major Boston firms and yes...they have more Boston College graduates

BC places well - especially in Boston.  I don't think anyone would argue differently. 

There are some good arguments to be made for passing up the $60k at Tulane to attend BC, but I think the OPs (not so admitted) Southern bias makes Tulane a very attractive option as well.

(I won't be a male private part and post up a bunch of Southern firms where Tulane is better represented than BC)

yesTHEEMORY

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 01:53:58 AM »
sorry, I'm the feminine hygiene product ... yup, huge feminine hygiene product.

Yeah, you are one of the people I was referring to, maybe BC should take your internet away  :D :D

:o :o

BC still places really well in all the major firms.  Wake and Tulane do not.... don't take my word on it.  put some major firms into google and see where their lawyers went (e.g. goodwin procter, bingham mccutchen, paul weiss, skadden arps, cadwalader, king and spaulding, etc.).  you will see that BC is highly represented at most of them, while your alternative schools are not at all.

Really?  The BC trolls are getting ridiculous.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 03:02:23 AM »
I just want to point out that I bought into botbot's Tulane trolling for awhile, but I no longer do!

They have like 15% employment or something around there in the NLJ250.  Ciolli gives their primary region 13%.

BIGLAW in Tulane's home region != Ciolli/NLJ250 BIGLAW and Ciolli's data is pushing 5+ years for some firms.

V100 SA positions:
BC - 11.3%
WFU - 11%
Tulane - 5.3%

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/

I wonder what happened in fall 2005 that made recruiting Tulane 2Ls difficult and skewed the Summer 2006 numbers?

Edit: I forgot to point out the amazing lack of information for Southern based firms at Law Firm Addict.

yesTHEEMORY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 03:06:08 AM »
V100 SA positions:
BC - 11.3%
WFU - 11%
Tulane - 5.3%

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/

I wonder what happened in fall 2005 that made recruiting Tulane 2Ls difficult and skewed the Summer 2006 numbers?

I did a quick search, but I couldn't find the article about some schools claiming Tulane student placement for that interview season.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 03:14:37 AM »
I've always been under the impression that Tulane does well in the job market and many of my peers share the same opinion. I do believe that a lot of studies show a bias for east coast schools because that is where a lot of the vault firms are. In my opinion, Tulane can surely hold its own ground and it has a pretty good reputation. Choosing Tulane would not be a bad choice at all.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 03:18:19 AM »
Ok, I buy both your points.  But I honestly haven't seen anything online that suggests Tulane has strong employment prospects.

You must not have looked at our USNEWS Median Salary  ;)

Seriously though, my best recommendation would be to call up Tulane and ask for the comprehensive career services survey.  It has a large % reporting and the school would have to answer to the ABA if it was filled with fraudulent information.  (although it is my understanding that schools are becoming reluctant to release these - I have never had much trouble)

I think Ciolli's study is pretty accurate for the NYC, DC, Cali areas - including his numbers on Tulane.  If he would have picked up all the southern market paying firms, I think it would accurately show the employment picture for Tulane graduates.

moo cow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
BC still places really well in all the major firms.  Wake and Tulane do not.... don't take my word on it.  put some major firms into google and see where their lawyers went (e.g. goodwin procter, bingham mccutchen, paul weiss, skadden arps, cadwalader, king and spaulding, etc.).  you will see that BC is highly represented at most of them, while your alternative schools are not at all.

Really?  The BC trolls are getting ridiculous.
[/quote]

actually, i'm not trolling.  i go to BU.

also, i should admit that i don't know anything about tulane and i do have a bias for schools that place well in boston and NY.  what i can tell you for certain is that tulane doesn't have much of a reputation in this area.  although it may place better in its region.

for what it's worth, tulane is ranked much lower and i think BC carries a more national name.  BC has taken a hit lately but they have historically been in the top 20.  i can say with relative certainty that the top half of the class at BC will get a decent job-- either midlaw or biglaw.  i imagine that big firms just don't go that far into tulane's class.  but again, i don't know much about tulane, so that's a guess.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »
You did see that Tulane had competitive numbers within the non-Boston based firms you listed, right?  I think that is what yestheemory was referring to about the trolling.

My historical USNews knowledge might be lacking, but when was BC in the Top 20? 

Edit: Looks like 1990 and 1993 were BCs T20 years.

ElvisFan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
Thanks for the great information everyone, I am going to send off my Tulane deposit on Monday!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 03:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the great information everyone, I am going to send off my Tulane deposit on Monday!

Great to have you ElvisFan.