Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC v Wake v Tulane ($$)  (Read 3595 times)

ElvisFan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BC v Wake v Tulane ($$)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
I'm sorry, BC students are certainly positive for their schools, but in an insecure, anti-other-schools way.  I could just have a terrible internet tone detector.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:55:39 PM »
I could just have a terrible internet tone detector.

Haha, possibly

I had looked at NALP before, does that represent every BIGLAW firm?

Pretty much.  I can't say i know for a fact that 100% of BIGLAW, but nearly every BIGLAW firm is a member of NALP.  There are small law firms though that are not a part of NALP.

One other thing though, some schools participate in off-campus job fairs, which law firms don't usually count on their list of schools where they do OCI.  So for example, BC has a Chicago job fair where we go to Chicago and interview with firms there, but those firms aren't listed on NALP as interviewing at BC...only those that come to campus and interview here are listed.
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »
I had looked at NALP before, does that represent every BIGLAW firm?

It represents a lot of them (more so for BC due to Boston's size and market).  There are some market paying firms that I recently interviewed with (on campus) that are not listed in that search for Tulane.  It's also important to remember that BC's class is ~20% larger than Tulane's.

BC will place a larger percentage of their class in the V100, and a larger percentage will get BIGLAW market.

The latter figure, though, will be damn close.  A similar percentage of the classes will get BIGLAW market, but BCs graduates will be in more prestigious firms.

Sylvester Pennoyer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Tulane should carry just fine in Memphis.  Baker Donelson for one definitely recruits out of Tulane.   

On the other hand, I'm told Wake Forest has an excellent legal writing program.  (You might laugh now, but just wait...)

wiseowl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »
i see wake and tulane as pretty much equal for you.  boston's quality of life/cost of living should probably rule that out.

my instinct is that tulane will place better than wake in memphis, but i don't know for sure.

also depends on what kind of surroundings you want.  winston-salem isn't the most fascinating place on earth.  new orleans is...new orleans.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/wiseowl
Pending: Columbia, Emory, UNC
In: UVA, Duke, GULC, Vandy, UGA ($), WFU, GW, George Mason
Neither In nor Out:
Out:

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 03:37:07 AM »
I'd take Wake out of the running.  BC has the most national reputation and is highest in the rankings.  Tulane will be cheapest for you and you seemed to like it.  They also likely place better in Memphis than BC.  Wake's placement seems to be worse than Tulane and it's no more prestigious and more expensive (for you).

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 04:50:15 PM »
sorry, I'm the feminine hygiene product ... yup, huge feminine hygiene product.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

ElvisFan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 11:55:47 PM »
sorry, I'm the feminine hygiene product ... yup, huge feminine hygiene product.

Yeah, you are one of the people I was referring to, maybe BC should take your internet away  :D :D

ElvisFan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 12:15:22 AM »
I've pretty much moved Wake to the #3 spot.

I don't know what to say about the vibe I get from the BC students.  Just felt like the students 'settled' for BC.

I better stop talking like that though, I have three rude messages in my inbox from BC hopefuls.  I like the school and am certainly considering it everyone, don't tell me what to do with my application.

moo cow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »
the one thing to keep in mind is that right now it's a really tough job market out there.  i don't know if you read abovethelaw.com (it's a legal gossip blog that EVERYBODY in law school reads; it's run by a harvard alum and former wachtell associate). 

among other things, they track all the layoffs at major firms. there have been a ton lately because of the credit crunch and this is definitely going to impact the job market for law students.  when major firms are struggling to keep their lawyers busy they're not in a hurry to hire a ton of new lawyers...  it's more complicated than that because they layoffs are in the slow departments like structured finance while the hiring is in the booming departments like bankrupcy and litigation, but that's beyond the point...

the bottom line is that BC will give you a much better shot at BIGLAW than your other schools...  0L's don't realize what the market is like out there.  although it's taken a hit in the rankings lately, BC still places really well in all the major firms.  Wake and Tulane do not.... don't take my word on it.  put some major firms into google and see where their lawyers went (e.g. goodwin procter, bingham mccutchen, paul weiss, skadden arps, cadwalader, king and spaulding, etc.).  you will see that BC is highly represented at most of them, while your alternative schools are not at all.

good luck with your choice.