Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Total career change, want to go to law school not sure where to start ?  (Read 2150 times)

rotaryroadster

• View Profile
Hi there,

I'm very much an NT student since I will be moving from the UK to the USA to study Law. I'm not entirely sure where to start since my previous degree was a BA in Business & Marketing. I've been loitering around the LSD boards for a while and thanks to LSD I've bought a couple of beginner's guides to law school and LSAT test books. Given I don't expect to go to an Ivy league school due to financial constraints all I'm interested in is going to a decent school in California.
  Once I graduate I want to start up my own practice covering: real estate, patent, family & bankruptcy law.

Just trying to figure out where to start, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

RR

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'll say you've got a lot going on.  I don't know much about this at all, but have you checked about starting your own practice since, I'm presuming, you're not an American citizen?  I have to admit, I'd be curious to know about all the hoops you'd have to jump through with regards to a visa and all that.

Since the LSAT is offered in the UK, I'm sure there are prep classes over there.  Time to start prepping and figuring out where you want to go.  Go to LSAC.org and start looking at schools where you want to live and I'd start communicating with them about handling foreign admissions. 

All I know is, I wish I had a lot of GBP to spend over here... you'll live like a king.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

rotaryroadster

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies so far,

Response to some questions asked :

1) Patent law is just something that "tickles my fancy", I understand to practice it requires specialized knowledge in one of the science degrees.

2) LSAC has been very helpful thanks !

3) Despite a very weak US Dollar, (cheers Dubya !) money is an issue since I will be working PT throughout my studies. I've spoken to several people who have gone through law school and come out with upwards of $190,000 of debt ? Is this a realistic figure or mere scare mongering ?

4) Does anyone have experience of the non accredited schools ?  Does it really matter which school you went to after you have sat the bar exam ?

Thanks again :0)

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
4)  AVOID UNACCREDITED SCHOOLS LIKE THE PLAGUE.  No one will hire you, or if they do it will be very hard to get a job.  The law school you attend does matter very much even after you pass the bar!  It's not like undergrad.  I think CA is the only state that lets you sit for the bar if you went to an unaccredited school, but say if you want to move to ANY other state they will *NOT* let you sit for their bar exam, thus your degree is worthless.

not all of the information in this post is true.

it will be tough to find a job.  there are other states that offer this besides CA.  generally, practice for 7 year will overcome the accreditation issue.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
First-- take the LSAT. Once you have a score, you can decide where you should apply.

Next -- select a few schools that interest you -- LSAC publishes the range of accepted students LSAT and GPA scores from the prior year. Pick a few that seem a target, a few that are safety and a few that may be out of reach (you never know if something in your background will be found appealing to the admissions committee).

Get letters of recommendation-- former professors are best. Past employers are ok, too.

Law school is a large investment of time and money. There are over 100 ABA accredited schools. Shoot for one of those. The better the school, the better your range of career prospects. This is balanced by your law school grades, of course. In addition, figure out why you want to go to law school. As a marketing BA, you are not qualified to sit for the patent bar. HOWEVER, you can still go into areas like patent litigation.

Hope this helps. I recommend Anna Ivey's "Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions" regarding assistance with the application process. It is short, sweet and to the point.

Vanderbilt 2010

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
First-- take the LSAT. Once you have a score, you can decide where you should apply.

Next -- select a few schools that interest you -- LSAC publishes the range of accepted students LSAT and GPA scores from the prior year. Pick a few that seem a target, a few that are safety and a few that may be out of reach (you never know if something in your background will be found appealing to the admissions committee).

Get letters of recommendation-- former professors are best. Past employers are ok, too.

Law school is a large investment of time and money. There are over 100 ABA accredited schools. Shoot for one of those. The better the school, the better your range of career prospects. This is balanced by your law school grades, of course. In addition, figure out why you want to go to law school. As a marketing BA, you are not qualified to sit for the patent bar. HOWEVER, you can still go into areas like patent litigation.

Hope this helps. I recommend Anna Ivey's "Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions" regarding assistance with the application process. It is short, sweet and to the point.

Vanderbilt 2010