Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decide my future! BC - Davis ($$)  (Read 3557 times)

whowantslogic

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Decide my future! BC - Davis ($$)
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 07:22:45 PM »
How fast do you drive?  I'm currently doing time in davis and go to SF pretty much every weekend, and I can say that even at 3AM it takes me an hour. Anytime there's any traffic it takes me between 80 min and 2.5 hours.  So do you have some secret route?

Okay, so I'll elaborate on my choices, but I would appreciate some insight from members on this board.  I would like to work on the West Coast or in Florida (home state), but where I work my first job is less important than my ability to pay off loans and such.  Basically, good job prospects are a bit more important than location.  I just know I don't want to stay in the midwest, and fortunately none of my choices are in the midwest   :D

Boston College:  So far I've heard nothing back from them in terms of financial aid, but I would hope that I would get at least something.  Hopefully I'll get some kind of need money like Davis gave me, but BC is nonetheless very attractive because the prospects seem good, I do love Boston, and it carries a bit of layman prestige.

UC-Davis: Is in California, but Davis is rural.  I haven't visited BC or Davis yet, but I'm worried about how much I would enjoy the location. I've been living in Chicago for ugrad, so it would be a shift.  However, this school is definitely on the West Coast, and they sent an informal offer of 20K in grants based on need for 2008-2009.  This could change year-to-year.  The big plus is that it is in California, but it has a very small alumni network and doesnt seem to carry much weight out of California.

There is also the prospect of Loyola (LA) with 27k/year, and I would only need to stay in the top 2/3rd's of the class.  However in my mind it is between the two above.  I'm leaning towards BC, especially if I could get some need-based money -- but what do you all think?

ok, as a davis undergrad alum, davis is NOT RURAL. yes, we have an agricultural focus so there are cows (which you usually can only smell from certain areas of the undergrad residences...gross), but there are also modern conveniences (grocery stores! bars!) and it is 20 min to sacramento, about 45 to san francisco. also the alumni network, though probably not as big as hastings, is pretty strong in norcal. i really think that to go from bc to a CA biglaw job (and CA markets are relatively competitive, ESPECIALLY northern california) you'd need to be pretty high in the class. so i concur....you need to pick a coast, and if it's CA, you are probably better off going to davis.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
How fast do you drive?  I'm currently doing time in davis and go to SF pretty much every weekend, and I can say that even at 3AM it takes me an hour. Anytime there's any traffic it takes me between 80 min and 2.5 hours.  So do you have some secret route?

Okay, so I'll elaborate on my choices, but I would appreciate some insight from members on this board.  I would like to work on the West Coast or in Florida (home state), but where I work my first job is less important than my ability to pay off loans and such.  Basically, good job prospects are a bit more important than location.  I just know I don't want to stay in the midwest, and fortunately none of my choices are in the midwest   :D

Boston College:  So far I've heard nothing back from them in terms of financial aid, but I would hope that I would get at least something.  Hopefully I'll get some kind of need money like Davis gave me, but BC is nonetheless very attractive because the prospects seem good, I do love Boston, and it carries a bit of layman prestige.

UC-Davis: Is in California, but Davis is rural.  I haven't visited BC or Davis yet, but I'm worried about how much I would enjoy the location. I've been living in Chicago for ugrad, so it would be a shift.  However, this school is definitely on the West Coast, and they sent an informal offer of 20K in grants based on need for 2008-2009.  This could change year-to-year.  The big plus is that it is in California, but it has a very small alumni network and doesnt seem to carry much weight out of California.

There is also the prospect of Loyola (LA) with 27k/year, and I would only need to stay in the top 2/3rd's of the class.  However in my mind it is between the two above.  I'm leaning towards BC, especially if I could get some need-based money -- but what do you all think?

ok, as a davis undergrad alum, davis is NOT RURAL. yes, we have an agricultural focus so there are cows (which you usually can only smell from certain areas of the undergrad residences...gross), but there are also modern conveniences (grocery stores! bars!) and it is 20 min to sacramento, about 45 to san francisco. also the alumni network, though probably not as big as hastings, is pretty strong in norcal. i really think that to go from bc to a CA biglaw job (and CA markets are relatively competitive, ESPECIALLY northern california) you'd need to be pretty high in the class. so i concur....you need to pick a coast, and if it's CA, you are probably better off going to davis.

just on 80 and the bay bridge....pretty sure there's no speedier way. i think i made it in 45 sometimes, but you're right that it's closer to an hour most of the time.

that being said, i doubt the OP would be zipping from davis to SF often. i was mostly objecting to davis's rural label, since pretty much anything within an hour of SF doesn't qualify for me.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »
Hey Unoriginal Andrew-
Its scary how you are going through the same exact thing as I am going through now. I have in state tuition for Davis, no money from BC and 23k in grant from Loyola. You said you are not interested in Loyola but I prefer to practice in SoCal if I were to stay in Cali and thus cant disregard Loyola easily. Do you know if Davis is solid only in NorCal?
I love Boston (spent my undegrad there) but the likely possibility of not making top 30% and being stuck on the East coast is a concern. I am not aiming for Biglaw and if I can still come to Cali to a midsized decent firm without graduating top 30% at BC, I might consider BC more.
Anyways, sorry for rambling but to all those out there, what would be the best option for me? I am not necessarily aiming for BigLaw, more government(DA), would like to carry the name prestige of my graduating law school, and be able to have options in CA although not right after graduation but around 5 years after building career. I am ok with Boston/NewYork the first 5 years or so.
I hate to think that I am giving up schools like WUSTL $$$, Emory, BC to go to Loyola, but it is a great school, solid in LA and they are offering a very generous aid package. But then, in the back of the mind I hear 'what about bc and davis?'
Aargh..

I wouldn't worry too much about dropping Emory.  Its prestige is largely in the South.  I told a friend of mine from CA that I was waiting to hear back from Emory, and her response was "What's Emory?".  Another friend of mine's father is a founding partner at a boutique firm in Chicago (a bunch of former L&W lawyers), and he says they won't consider an applicant from Emory, but will consider BC, BU, GW and t14's. 

It's not entirely uncommon for people to turn down higher ranked schools to go to Loyola with money.  LA's desirable, and for you, debt is a bigger concern.  I'm wondering why you aren't really considering WUStL, but I would not be able to put up with St. Louis myself, so I could see that being a reason.

I can't seem to put a pin on Davis, myself.  I'd definitely be very closely considering it if I wanted government work, but I get mixed reviews.  Some people on here are saying "definitely Davis", but then other people I talk to, even from CA, tell me emphatically to go to BC over Davis. 

To sum that all up, I really don't know what you should do, because I don't know what I should do myself.  I do know that Loyola is very regional, but if you get some good experience behind your back, you could probably go almost anywhere.

Having been a former student, I know that GW does not place very well in the west coast. I would imagine that BC/BU is the same. I know plenty of GW classmates that HAD TO stay in the south atlantic region. A friend was in the top 15% and could not land west coast biglaw. Outside of the T14 it gets significantly harder to move out of the school's region.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »
Did you know anyone who tried to get a job in Boston by chance?

Yes and they had mixed results (much more negative than positive). I would say if you fall out of the top 20-25% at GW, it will be very tough to get biglaw in Boston. Boston is undoubtely Harvard/BC/BU territory. The problem with GW is that it's a great school but it gets outshined by GULC and the fact that many HYS and T14 grads go to DC does not help. When I attended GW, I was excited about its rise in the rankings but later realized that with GULC next door and DC being such a difficult market, that it was pretty hopeless. This is one of the reasons why I transferred out. GW is a strong regional school (south atlantic region) and nothing more. If you want Boston, I would suggest ignoring the rankings and choosing BC (#28) over GW (#22).

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »
Andrew, I'm trying to figure this same thing out (substitute Hastings for Davis)... we should def discuss this over some beers on the 4th.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
Believe me I would but I got waitlisted @ BC!!!  And I got the Presidential Merit Scholarship at GW (half tuition + stipend 1st year)..... sooo I don't know that's a lot of money to pass up even if I *do* get off the waitlist.... but I have to start making plans to move to DC soon (my husband need to find a job, we need to find renters for our apt etc) so gahhh!

I do know a few GW students who got rejected from BC, but nothing to the extent of GW with $$$ and a BC waitlist. If you are set on Boston, I would still suggest BC. I've heard from credible sources that biglaw in Boston from BC is very doable for median-ish students. Can't say the same for GW in DC. You've got a tough decision ahead of you if BC takes you off their WL. I can also almost guarantee you that you will enjoy your BC experience more than GW. The GW facilities get crowded quickly and the large class size creates sort of an impersonal environment. With all that said, I think you'll enjoy DC if you go to GW. Just don't hold your breath for getting Boston biglaw.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 09:58:40 PM »

You have connections to Boston though is the thing.  I hope you get off the BC waitlist, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to go to GW and try to get back to Boston.  I think you'd have a better chance than somebody who just decided on a whim that New England is pretty and he/she should work there.

Also -- my use of the word "rural" seems to have gotten a lot of flak.  Perhaps suburban would have been a better choice of words, but compared to my current location, Davis is a world apart. 

EDIT -- and yes we should Rockshox.  I use beer to make all my important decisions   ;D
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »

You have connections to Boston though is the thing.  I hope you get off the BC waitlist, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to go to GW and try to get back to Boston.  I think you'd have a better chance than somebody who just decided on a whim that New England is pretty and he/she should work there.

Also -- my use of the word "rural" seems to have gotten a lot of flak.  Perhaps suburban would have been a better choice of words, but compared to my current location, Davis is a world apart. 

EDIT -- and yes we should Rockshox.  I use beer to make all my important decisions   ;D

i totally get it...i don't know where you live now in chicago, but i could walk around at night by myself in davis and i would never do that in hyde park. if you've lived in cities your whole life, davis can be pretty stifling.

anyway, based on this bc discussion, i would probably advise you to go to davis if you want anywhere in california, and bc if you want anywhere else in the country. almost all schools that are not t14 (and even many t14 schools that aren't hys, to be perfectly honest) are basically regional. i think you would have a stronger shot at ca biglaw from davis than from bc.

good luck with whatever you decide!

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 11:50:04 PM »

i totally get it...i don't know where you live now in chicago, but i could walk around at night by myself in davis and i would never do that in hyde park. if you've lived in cities your whole life, davis can be pretty stifling.

anyway, based on this bc discussion, i would probably advise you to go to davis if you want anywhere in california, and bc if you want anywhere else in the country. almost all schools that are not t14 (and even many t14 schools that aren't hys, to be perfectly honest) are basically regional. i think you would have a stronger shot at ca biglaw from davis than from bc.

good luck with whatever you decide!

TITCR. Davis for CA and BC for out of CA, but I only say BC for out of CA because it is stronger than Davis outside of CA. If you want true mobility, you should attend a T14.

And about your comment regarding the connections to Boston or any home market for that matter, many people that I knew at GW did try to return to their home markets and still did not have success. It does help, but it is not as much of a boost as people think it is.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 12:02:35 AM »
Damn.  So much for my brilliant plan to take my degree to the massive and bustling legal market of the Florida panhandle ;)
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011