Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decide my future! BC - Davis ($$)  (Read 3533 times)

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
Decide my future! BC - Davis ($$)
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:21:09 AM »
Okay, so I'll elaborate on my choices, but I would appreciate some insight from members on this board.  I would like to work on the West Coast or in Florida (home state), but where I work my first job is less important than my ability to pay off loans and such.  Basically, good job prospects are a bit more important than location.  I just know I don't want to stay in the midwest, and fortunately none of my choices are in the midwest   :D

Boston College:  So far I've heard nothing back from them in terms of financial aid, but I would hope that I would get at least something.  Hopefully I'll get some kind of need money like Davis gave me, but BC is nonetheless very attractive because the prospects seem good, I do love Boston, and it carries a bit of layman prestige.

UC-Davis: Is in California, but Davis is rural.  I haven't visited BC or Davis yet, but I'm worried about how much I would enjoy the location. I've been living in Chicago for ugrad, so it would be a shift.  However, this school is definitely on the West Coast, and they sent an informal offer of 20K in grants based on need for 2008-2009.  This could change year-to-year.  The big plus is that it is in California, but it has a very small alumni network and doesnt seem to carry much weight out of California.

There is also the prospect of Loyola (LA) with 27k/year, and I would only need to stay in the top 2/3rd's of the class.  However in my mind it is between the two above.  I'm leaning towards BC, especially if I could get some need-based money -- but what do you all think?
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Decide my future! BC - Davis ($$)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35:26 AM »
This choice really depends on which location you like more. For CA, it's UC Davis. For the east coast, it's BC. $20k/year at Davis is a lot of money and after first year you can probabaly qualify for in-state tuition so you should keep that in mind. Biglaw prospects are similar because the top 1/3 at both schools have a very good chance at biglaw in their regions. CA has better weather though in my opinion.

If I had to make the choice, I'd pick UC Davis. It's primarily because I just prefer CA over Boston though. Oh, and the debt would be much less at UC Davis too.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:42:52 AM »
My decisions will probably depend on where I like after I visit...but thanks for the advice guys.

Keep it coming, anyone else who wishes to chime in.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »
ignore those and go to cooley. i hear it's a top 16 school.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
ignore those and go to cooley. i hear it's a top 16 school.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:29:25 PM »
The problem you may run into with aid from BC is that they can be stingy at first. If you express an interest to the admissions office after receiving an initial aid package it can help. However, to be in any form of negotiating position with BC, you would need substantial aid from a school they consider a peer. I was able to leverage BU money since they're a huge competitor for students. At this point, you could try and use the $20k from Davis, but I don't know how they perceive them. Traditionally I think they would look at GW, BU, WUSTL, ND, Fordham, etc. as their peers.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »
I'd say - East Coast = BC, and West Coast = Davis

Pick an ocean man!

Haha, but I like them both!

Also, Dischord -- I definitely have thought of that.  BC seems more portable, and I don't quite know if I could live in CA forever, or if I just like it right now.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
Likewise, I'd have to ask the same about Sacramento ;) 

I'm definitely leaning hard towards BC and probably won't make any final decisions until I visit...but I really love Boston, I know that much.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
Oh I'll definitely be at the ASD, though the mailing hasn't made its way to Evanston yet.  Now I'm excited to go check the mailbox. 

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 03:44:01 PM »
SWEET!  I was really hoping it wasn't going to be one of those archipelago breakfasts.  Those things just disappoint.