Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT Austin ($$) vs. Vandy ($) vs. Wash U STL ($$$)  (Read 1415 times)

Worldbfree

• View Profile
    • Email
UT Austin ($$) vs. Vandy ($) vs. Wash U STL ($$$)
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:45:16 PM »
Hi everyone, so I just got my scholarship offer from Texas, and it's better than I expected and now I'm really torn. Wash U gave me the $119,100 and had to be considered the favorite, but I'm not thrilled by the idea of living in STL. I'm from CA, and live in DC working on the Hill now and could see myself ending up in either place. UT Austin gave me 21,000 plus in state tuition making it worth about 60,000 total. Vandy gave me 45,000 flat. So what do you guys think? I don't want to live in the midwest, but maybe it's worth it since I don't really see myself going biglaw to leave w/o debt. Lemme know!

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
Re: UT Austin ($$) vs. Vandy ($) vs. Wash U STL ($$$)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
Hi everyone, so I just got my scholarship offer from Texas, and it's better than I expected and now I'm really torn. Wash U gave me the $119,100 and had to be considered the favorite, but I'm not thrilled by the idea of living in STL. I'm from CA, and live in DC working on the Hill now and could see myself ending up in either place. UT Austin gave me 21,000 plus in state tuition making it worth about 60,000 total. Vandy gave me 45,000 flat. So what do you guys think? I don't want to live in the midwest, but maybe it's worth it since I don't really see myself going biglaw to leave w/o debt. Lemme know!

I think you should take the full ride. The schools are roughly similar and you will get a free education at a T25 school.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:08:56 PM »
What are the stipulations of keeping the scholarships?

If any of them are guaranteed regardless of your class placement, that would be a big factor.

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
I don't have any real opinion on which school would be best for you, but st louis always struck me as a great midwestern city. it has great weather, great sports, great restaurants, great parks and scenery. it's definitely number 2 after chicago on the list of midwestern cities that I would be happy to end up in.

the wustl scholarships are all guaranteed. can't speak for the others.

Worldbfree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:21:49 PM »
All of them are guaranteed. Thanks for the feedback.

armada

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
Had to bump this.  I'm in a somewhat similar situation.  Any more input?  Please?

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 07:56:28 PM »
I don't really see myself going biglaw

This seems to make the decision pretty clear to me.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »
UT with instate + $9k a year would be ~$10k a year right?

So $30k total tuition right?

UT places much, much better than WUSTL in all legal jobs in both DC and Cali.  Well worth the $30k in my opinion.

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
UT with instate + $9k a year would be ~$10k a year right?

So $30k total tuition right?

UT places much, much better than WUSTL in all legal jobs in both DC and Cali.  Well worth the $30k in my opinion.

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2007/11/14/tuition-2/

UT has raised their tuition rates significantly over the next two years for in-state residents (nearly 10k per year).

2008-2009: $24,232
2009-2010: $28,934

Assuming no increase for 2010-2011 (which is a big assumption given the previous two increases), the total cost of attending UT for tuition would be $82,100. Her scholarship of $21k total would bring this figure down to $61,100.

Given that you don't want BIGLAW, I think I would personally choose WUSTL due to the financial considerations. By not choosing BIGLAW, it would be best to avoid debt since you will be taking a job that pays less upon graduation. Though, obviously I think you should take a trip to see if you would like area of WUSTL. If location is a big enough factor, then you really need to determine whether or not that 61k is truly worth it to spend 3 years in a place you like rather than a place you're somewhat lukewarm about.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
I see...

OP needs to consider how important it is to get back to Cali or DC - as WUSTL is going to have some issues traveling to the coasts (especially in PI/Government work)