Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are old tests (or this one in particular) easier?  (Read 1190 times)

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are old tests (or this one in particular) easier?
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
Hey,

For my first five practice tests, I was scoring in the mid-150s, with two 162s as well.  I just took one that I got for free, though, from the LSAC.org website and got a 165.  It is the October 1996 test.

Is this test a lot easier than most, or am I just improving?  Also, as a whole, does the LSAT seem to be getting easier, harder, or neither as time progresses?

Thanks.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are old tests (or this one in particular) easier?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »
I am going to ignore Jeffort's detailed analysis and say yes, old tests are easier.

But it's all relative. Some people think the old logic games sections are harder than the new, and some think that the new reading comp sections are much harder than the old ones.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

kilgoretrout

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:36:22 AM »
if you are serious about the LSAT, you will take every old LSAT from the last 15 years, and you will be able to tell yourself.

Vicki11NYR

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:17:51 PM »
In my personal view, there is definitely a difference between the LSATs from the 1990s and even early 2000s and the more recent ones (I'd say 2003/2004 to present).  I don't know if I'd say one or the other is harder (for me, I fortunately found the more recent ones to be easier than the earlier ones, but I know others who find the reverse to be true), but there's definitely something different.  I know it's lame to say "it's just different," but I honestly don't know how to exactly explain the difference in words; I guess the earlier ones just have a different feel than the newer ones, which I know is still vague.  But does anyone else notice this too? 

In any event, I would recommend definitely relying mostly on the recent exams starting with maybe 2003 or 2004 and going up to the most recent one available (is December 2007 out?), especially when you're taking timed practice tests.  This I believe will give you a much better indication of what your real LSAT will look like and how you will most likely score.  That'll give you about 15 practice tests to do timed in simulated LSAT conditions.  As for all the other tests (2002 and back), I would just use them for practicing different question types, diagramming, marking up reading passages, and whatever other logical methods you are learning.
Stats: 3.96/174

Accepted: HLS, CLS, NYU, UChicago ($$$), UPenn, Duke, UVA ($$$), GULC ($$$)
Pending: YLS, Cornell

LSN Account: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Vicki11NYR

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
The June 2007 test was so easy that the scale was brutal. I actually like tests where their is a really difficult passage so that the scale is more lenient. I got 20 wrong on the June 2007 LSAT and I scored a 161. ??? I thought I was actually doing really well. lol

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
if you are serious about the LSAT, you will take every old LSAT from the last 15 years, and you will be able to tell yourself.

I'm honored that you just used your first post to say that.